Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Birzeit University, Palestine??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingBen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Birzeit University, Palestine?? Reply with quote

Hi everybody. Does anyone know if Birzeit University in Ramallah ever hires foreign ESL Instructors? Thanks in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know there's an Israel jobs forum?

Anyway, they've been listed on the English Language Fellow Program's project list. However, you might just contact the university directly.
babur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Birzeit University Reply with quote

Quote:

That's a good one! The last time I visited Ramallah, Birzeit University was Palestinian. Many programs are taught in English.
http://www.birzeit.edu/about_bzu/
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Birzeit University Reply with quote

babur wrote:
Quote:

That's a good one! The last time I visited Ramallah, Birzeit University was Palestinian. Many programs are taught in English.
http://www.birzeit.edu/about_bzu/

Yes, I'm very much aware Ramallah is in the West Bank. However, the Israel jobs forum might be another place for the OP to post because of proximity. Seriously, we get posts for Libya on this forum.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is likely as good a branch as any to post.

There have been a few posts on jobs in Palestine, but the Israelis make it nearly impossible to work there by not allowing visas. If you can deal with the hassles, you might try applying directly to them.

VS
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a guy who taught in the West Bank on a volunteer program (though he did get a stipend).
Mind you, seeing how things were run there by the local authorities, turned him into one of the most pro-Israel people I've met in Turkey.

~Q
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that I have talked to have gone the opposite way... probably depends on your 'prejudices' before you arrived. Abuse by Israeli officialdom is sadly rampant...

VS
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that bringing the economic opportunities of English to the suffering people of the Holy Land may not be as glorious as one might expect. Doesn't really matter to what degree you blame the Israelis, Palestinians, or both; it seems like a pretty depressing situation.

That said, there are certainly volunteer opportunities, though I don't know what organization the guy I knew worked for (I'm not in contact with him anymore but I do know he was practicing but non-evangelical Christian, so it's probably neither one of those Israeli peace-through-understanding groups, nor a missionary organization). I keep seeing ads for "Teach for Palestine," which I won't link, since it seems to get bad reviews. Googling I also found some other interesting stuff, like Project Hope, which I only found one review for, but it's a positive one.

I doubt that there are many well-paid opportunities in the West Bank, for the same reason there aren't many well-paid opportunities in Lebanon. It's rebuilding from a war, and unlike Iraq and Libya, it has no oil. You can certainly forget about Gaza, since it's under sanctions.

Any rate best of luck to you,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: