Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the Degree Name Matter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majestic58

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Does the Degree Name Matter? Reply with quote

When I finish my BAs I'll have a BA in Linguistics with a minor in French and a B.Ed in Primary/Elementary Education with license. My question is with regards to the types of masters degrees offered, they seem to come with all sorts of different titles (MA Linguistics, MA Applied Linguistics, MA Second Language Education, MSc TESOL, MSc TESOL and Applied Linguistics etc), does the title of my degree matter? Is one better than the other? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot depends on what you want to do in future:-)
There actually is some distinction between the degrees you name here.
majestic58

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to teach ESL and ideally not be limited in the countries where I can teach. Perhaps transition to international schools at some point, but my main goal at this point is to put myself in a good position to get quality jobs/pay as a ESL teacher. I'd like for this to be a life experience, I'm not looking to become rich, but I'd like to be able to live comfortably. Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would suggest you go for one of the teaching MA options, as opposed to Applied Linguistics/Linguistics. MA SLA looks the most promising to me of your list.

You'll still be somewhat limited as regards countries,if only in that the job market in Europe is highly competitive even at the MA + level of quals, and with a North American passport, it would be difficult (not impossible, but definitely not a given) to find anything in Western Europe.

Plenty of reasonable opportunities in other parts of the world, though (except Ontario; extremely tight job market there too, even at MA + level!)
majestic58

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Your input is greatly appreciated! Smile I'm not so worried about the ability to teach in Europe, I'd like to travel more there at some point, but I'm looking to teach in other places... I'm definitely leaning in the Asia, Africa, Middle East, South America directions, although I would like to do Eastern Europe at some point... If I'm understanding correctly, non-EU countries may still be an option, correct? Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely!!
majestic58

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then.... HUZZAH!! And as a side note, the school with the MA Second Language Education (McGill, in Montreal)was my top pick! So everything is coming up roses... Now I just have to get in... It's competitive for sure! XD
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do your undergrad at McGill? I'm looking at McGill's MA in Teaching and Learning (I don't have a teacher's license and that program comes with it). Just interested in your experience Smile

McGill's MA in Second Language Education is geared more towards administration (for example, if you were in charge of testing/program planning for a language school).
majestic58

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm currently doing my BA at MUN in St. John's NL (AMAZING by the way... wish they had an MA program here...) McGill has just always been a dream of mine... Just starting the preliminary research as to where to go for my MA.
smedini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

majestic58 wrote:
No, I'm currently doing my BA at MUN in St. John's NL (AMAZING by the way... wish they had an MA program here...) McGill has just always been a dream of mine... Just starting the preliminary research as to where to go for my MA.

So you like MUN? I've heard good things. I have an MA in Applied Linguistics and plan to head to the Middle East soon, but once I'm settled I plan to do the distance MEd at MUN and hope to get into administration in an adult learning program (ESL or otherwise) when I get back to Canada. Have you heard anything about that program while you've been there? What's the word on the street?

Thanks!

~smedini
majestic58

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard anything about the program specifically but I *LOVE* MUN. The profs in the Linguistics department are nothing short of amazing, both for their knowledge/experience and the fact that they really genuinely care about their students and want them to do well. I'm SO glad I chose this school. Plus, St. John's is incredible. Wink
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

majestic58 wrote:
I want to teach ESL and ideally not be limited in the countries where I can teach.

Any masters degree in language teaching (note: MA in Linguistics is usually NOT a masters degree in language teaching) will get you this (unless you go the off-campus route, in which case there are still SOME places where that could be a problem, but not many).
Quote:

Perhaps transition to international schools at some point,

You say you already have a teacher's licence, but be aware that a lot of international schools require a few years of experience in your geographic area (so Newfoundland) before you are eligible. I know one guy who has a B.Ed but came to Japan immediately without the experience, and it has been a bit of a problem.

Quote:

but my main goal at this point is to put myself in a good position to get quality jobs/pay as a ESL teacher.)

Any language teaching masters degree will do this, especially coupled with a B.Ed (and you would help yourself even more if you got yourself some local language ability). Note, a masters degree in language teaching, Japanese language ability and experience is not usually enough in Japan. You need to publish papers- usually at least three- (and very often need to know someone, too). More and more ads are coming out saying PhD preferable.

And I agree to stay away from Ontario (and I'm from there). They'll make you do a one-year TESL "Certificate" as a prerequisite to the masters in Applied Linguistics (TEFL) one and a half year degree. (CASH GRAB)
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I agree to stay away from Ontario (and I'm from there). They'll make you do a one-year TESL "Certificate" as a prerequisite to the masters in Applied Linguistics (TEFL) one and a half year degree. (CASH GRAB)

And even then you won't likely find a regular, contracted job in Ontario - major teacher glut!!
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
major teacher glut!!

Most everything else, too. That's what the college post-graduate certificates are for- supplying a glut of trained people so that companies don't have to pay all that much, can keep you as a temporary contract employee and can get rid of you whenever they want because there is always a stack of resumes coming through the door, and every year there are people who need to do their placement for the certificate (so getting rid of the newbie that they just hired is really doing the industry a favour because it ensures that somebody can finish their education).

And, of course, they primarily exist because people who graduate university generally believe in the value of formal education- and therefore are a good target market for colleges to do the programs (especially when "90% of graduates get jobs" [as independent contractors for about a week or two, and for many of them that's that.]).
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to work at a Russian university then the Applied Linguistics title is best. (I can't speak for other countries.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: