Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arriving in Le�n in February

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddevil79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Arriving in Le�n in February Reply with quote

I will be moving to Le�n in February and wondered if anyone had any insights and information about teaching there. A forum search brings up a few threads from quite a while ago, Le�n is obviously not one of the more popular places in which to start up. Here are my details:

-Masters in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching
-TEFL
-PGCE
-Seven years teaching experience, six in Mexico. Fluent Spanish.

I don�t hold a CELTA, just a TEFL certificate. Will this be a disadvantage in Spain? Is it also feasible to get a full-time schedule without teaching kids or teenagers? I�m also a little worried about arriving in February, not ideal in terms of hiring from what I gather.

Any information/advice greatly appreciated Wink
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided you have an EU passport your qualifications will be more than enough for finding legal work in Spain at the right time of year. Therein lies the problem, February really is a bad time to move there, the main hiring period is in September with a bit of a trickle around now through to early January to replace teachers who have bailed out early at Xmas. Feb.... well you're looking at very few hours even at the best of times and with the crisis in Spain, this isn't one of those.

Also, no, in smaller towns even in the optimal hiring periods, finding a full schedule as a new arrival without teaching kids and teens would be next to impossible. If you want to avoid them, either go to one of the larger cities (still not guaranteed) or stick around in one place long enough to build up contacts to have enough adult/business classes to survive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: