Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get a job with the British Council?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Can I get a job with the British Council? Reply with quote

I would really like to work for The British Council but I'm not sure If I would have a hope of getting in! I don't have any preferences regarding location. I have BA, TEFL (not CELTA but 120 hrs on site with teaching practice etc.) and about 4 years experience in Asia. Am I qualified enough? I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but I have the idea that it is really difficult to get accepted.

I would love to hear from BC employees or ex - employees about their experiences working for the company, application tips or any advice.

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I get a job with the British Council? Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:
I'm not sure If I would have a hope of getting in! I don't have any preferences regarding location. I have BA, TEFL (not CELTA but 120 hrs on site with teaching practice etc.) and about 4 years experience in Asia. Am I qualified enough? I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but I have the idea that it is really difficult to get accepted.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-teachingjobs.htm

You'd need a CELTA or Trinity certTESOL. It also helps to have a good dose of self-confidence... Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could proably get a teaching job though they might see you more favourably if you had a kosher cert, as suggested.

Better chances in places where no one wants to go !

Last edited by scot47 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might. If they don't like what you've got, then you could for the DELTA or Trinity Diploma.
White ice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they one of the best employers?
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think they are one of the best employers in terms of salary and conditions. A friend of mine works for one in Doha and she's really happy. I'd still like to hear from BC employees.

I am not willing to do the CELTA or Trinity cert as my TEFL took 5 weeks and cost as much as a CELTA! It probably is much the same. I chose it because it's accredited by a body required to work in Ireland, which I thought would be handy if I ever want to work at home!
I guess I'll apply and if I get rejected I'll think about doing the DELTA.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-British Council-er here...

From my knowledge of the BC, and having worked in for them in two different regions, I think you are qualifed enough to apply for those posts which don't require DELTA. I don't think they will be that bothered about TEFL vs CELTA but more concerned as to whether you can prove you have acquired their desired 'competencies'.

Go for it and good luck.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current BC teacher here ...

Every BC vacancy I've ever seen demands a CELTA. Despite a good local rep, a BA (Hons) English and a PGCE, they'd never even shortlist me for a position back then.

So I got my CELTA. Trouble is, 99% of the time BC also demands two years teaching post-CELTA. So I joined the Teacher Training Programme at Cairo (no two-year rule here). Loadsa prof development and all the benefits of a large organisation.

Is it perfect? No. Will I stay much longer? Hmm ... But it's definitely a great way to get into BC, if that's what you want.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, before you commit to a retread, is that the accredited Irish training course? If it is, it might be worth checking with the British Council to see what they think of your qualification.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone mentioned it somewhere else that you really need a Cambridge cert. to work there (CELTA, DELTA) kind of a "thing" they have. Can anyone provide evidence to prove me wrong? Not that I'm the cat's arse by any means, but I do have an M.Ed. SIT cert. and had six years' experience when I applied and I never heard a word from them. I would have thought I would at least be worth talking to. Thinking of taking the DELTA and trying again, just to see what all the hype is about Smile
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I'm suggesting that if the qualification is one accredited in Ireland, it is worth the candidate's while contacting BC. Otherwise he/she doesn't know which way they would jump.
BlueMango

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest applying anyway and seeing where it gets you. I worked for the BC before and know that they employ people with less experience than required based on their staffing needs. Of course it depends on whether the centre is a really popular one in which case the centre manager can afford to be more choosy. I would say the most important thing is being able to answer their interview questions in a 'BC' way.

As for the various different certificates they require, I'm not sure what the policy is and whether it's global or local.

On a side note, there are many things I disliked about working at the BC, but I know that my years there made me a much better teacher and so would strongly recommend anyone work with them for a stint. Good luck.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many colleagues of mine at the BC have, among others, MAs (Linguistics, Education etc). But, from what I can gather, it doesn't do them much good when applying for, say, a Senior Teacher position: the BC much prefers you to have a DELTA, even if you already have a related MA. Their supposed rationale is that the DELTA includes much more practice and less theory than an MA.

Bluemango: I totally agree re. general BC experience. Smile
BlueMango

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As PierogiMonster says, the DELTA is the holy grail of career progression at the BC because of the observed teaching practice. The irony here is that most teachers who complete the DELTA whilst at the BC are angling for management roles which give them fewer hours in the classroom actually teaching and doing what they do best.

So the BC has all their best teachers (on paper anyway) not teaching because they are managing regardless of the fact that the DELTA has no management component.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Once, at the end of a long day of back-to-backs, I asked a non-teaching colleague how one gets out of teaching. 'Get the DELTA', she replied, in all seriousness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: