Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Need a place to stay for Dec 31 for one night!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: I Need a place to stay for Dec 31 for one night! Reply with quote

I'm passing through HK Dec 31 for a layover. BUT I can't find a room that doesnt cost $500 usd for the night.

Even the dives in Chungking mansion are all filled.

Any ideas of places to stay that aren't advertised?

I will be in HK Sunday to Monday this week so I can check out places for Dec 31. Any ideas?

Or anyone have an extra bed for me! (and my Chinese gf!)

Plan B is to store my luggage at the airport and we will just go out all night BUT I really feel a little to old to stay out all night - even on New Year's Eve.

I have to be at the airport for a 10am flight back to Shanghai.

Thanks!
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kungfuman,

Since about 2007,whenever I'm in HK ( at least once a year), I have always stayed at a place called the Alisan Guest House; which is located at 23 Cannon St, Causeway Bay. The rooms are a bit small, but cheap for HK ( about 360 HKD).The Alisan is quite well run - the owner (Tommy) is vey friendly and helpful re places to see/things to do in HK. If you decide to stay there, you'll probably have to book in advance ( eg, through PayPal).

Check out Alisan's website : http://www.alisanguesthouse.com/

Regards,

Peter
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter I called them and they are checking for me.

Very Happy
oxi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say I think you'll really struggle. Cheapest I see on booking.com and asiarooms are over 1200HK$ then. If you still have time today I'd suggest going near Chung King and up a little to Mirador Mansion - very similar. Between those two, I doubt there's anything cheaper.

Try and grab a Hong Kong magazine - there might be some ads for studios you can call.

If you can do 1200$, Silvermine Beach hotel is quite relaxing and near the airport.

I reckon if it was me and I didn't fancy an all-nighter in town, I'd sit around the nicer restaurants in the airport through the night and just try to lie down somewhere quiet.

Good luck!
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried airbnb.com? Or even Couchsurfing?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....what happened?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
So....what happened?

We stayed out till about 1am then went back to the airport and played Terminal Man till our plane was ready at 9;30am.

It was really cold in the HK airport and we "slept" on rows of seats - but it wasn't good.

These people -Alisan Guest House- were really nice and did offer us a room for 600y a night HOWEVER we didn't read the email they sent a week before when I was in HK. They said to come and leave a deposit and they would hold the room but unfortunately I didn't see the email till I was flying out of HK to Kuala Lumpur.

Thankfully we made it back to Suzhou - where it is about -10 degrees with windchill - from sunny KL where it is about 80f - 30c.

We also went to Penang - which is worth hanging out for a week just doing nothing but sitting at the beach drinking watermelon juice.

BTW I have stayed at Star - Lee guesthouse once before and it is ok. Clean and does the job.

The first night we stayed in Chungking Mansion. God that place is awful. And full of bedbugs.
Albert Cribbins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: thou doth protest too much young man! Reply with quote

Quote:
The first night we stayed in Chungking Mansion. God that place is awful. And full of bedbugs.

Not so. I have stayed at a perfectly nice and clean room, 4th floor, for 230hkd a night in Chungking.

In mirador a perfectly clean and secure room with fast wifi for 150-200 a night.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: thou doth protest too much young man! Reply with quote

Albert Cribbins wrote:
Quote:

Not so. I have stayed at a perfectly nice and clean room, 4th floor, for 230hkd a night in Chungking.

In mirador a perfectly clean and secure room with fast wifi for 150-200 a night.

We might have different standards buddy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: