Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East vs West
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tin man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: East vs West Reply with quote

I recently received pictures of an apartment with an Asian Loo (I am from the USA but speak some British English and understand that is UK speak for commode). A teacher also sent me pics of his apartment which proudly displayed the Asian version.

I for one am not about to start learning this Asian method but was wondering what the general consensus is on this matter. I am aware that some or many schools have western toilets but have many teachers gotten accustomed to the Asian method?

I am still in the USA. Not sure if/when I will return to teaching but it is good to have a backup plan if all hell breaks loose after the fiscal cliff Smile
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: East vs West Reply with quote

tin man wrote:
I recently received pictures of an apartment with an Asian Loo (I am from the USA but speak some British English and understand that is UK speak for commode). A teacher also sent me pics of his apartment which proudly displayed the Asian version.

I for one am not about to start learning this Asian method but was wondering what the general consensus is on this matter. I am aware that some or many schools have western toilets but have many teachers gotten accustomed to the Asian method?

I haven't been to a school yet that had a western style toilet, and I wouldn't use one even if they did because they're usually not the cleanest. On the other hand many apartments have a sit down toilet. Good thing about squat toilets is you probably won't waste time reading a book while taking a dump. In and out.
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: East vs West Reply with quote

tin man wrote:
I for one am not about to start learning this Asian method...

Unless you are in the restaurant of an expensive hotel, all public toilets, including almost all school ones, will be squat-type. It's better for your body and cleaner because you don't touch.

But if you are declaring before you get to Asia that you are not interested in learning Asian methods, well, you might not be very happy here then. Give things a try before deicing you don't like.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most apartments provided by unis will have western loos. you might
unluck out and get a squattie if you take a job in a small town. if you
have to find your own apartment, chances are you'll get a squatter.

don't worry....you'll get used to it. restaurants and schools and many
hotels will have squatters, too. unless you can time your 'business' to
only occur while in your own apartment, you'll need to learn the skill.

just remember to remove your wallet and cellphone and keys from
your pants before engaging. be aware of where your waistband is
in relation to planned (and unplanned) trajectories. carry a packet of
loo paper always.

you don't want to use a sittie outside of your apartment. local yokels
don't know the procedures, and usually squat on the seat, leaving
filthy footprints.

if you can't deal with squatting at home, you can buy a squattie-seat
at many department stores or pharmacies.

welcome to china! Wink
roadwalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find many old posts on this topic especially in the off-topic forum. The technology hasn't changed since then and neither has the technique. I've always been provided with a sit down throne-type toilet in school-provided apartments. They're becoming more popular in homes, judging by the porcelain fixtures shops in the cities I've been in. At home, I like having the throne. Outside, I prefer the squatties most of the time. Also many restaurants have them too, although they are outnumbered by squatties. They're cleaner to use, assuming you don't touch anything. (There are nightmare toilets in some areas, and in those cases, you would appreciate the less contact.)

If you don't have issues with your knees or ankles, it isn't hard to get used to. Don't bring the Sunday papers in with you unless you are an in-shape skiier or used to squatting otherwise. The only trouble is that the squatties usually lack some kind of (clean) handle for if you lose your balance. That's not a problem for those who are used to it or have good squatting balance anyway. Don't sweat it: billions served everyday. Literally.
tin man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This somewhat inspires me to make a real go of things in the USA. However, I suppose I could deal with it as long as my apartment had the Sunday paper version. Out of curiosity, when I was in Thailand I believe they used the hose method to wash up instead of TP. Is that generally the case in China? Is there soap in the public loo?
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin man wrote:
This somewhat inspires me to make a real go of things in the USA. However, I suppose I could deal with it as long as my apartment had the Sunday paper version. Out of curiosity, when I was in Thailand I believe they used the hose method to wash up instead of TP. Is that generally the case in China? Is there soap in the public loo?

All of my apartments in China have had a Western toilet. None of them have had the Thai style spray hose, and I have never seen it in China.

Very rarely will you find soap in a public toilet in China.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: East vs West Reply with quote

Toilets a popular debate Smile

tin man wrote:
(I am from the USA but speak some British English and understand that is UK speak for commode)
In Chinese primary and secondary schools, there seems to be a lot of British English. The BE ability may open the door to opportunities.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless he speakses scottish english!

"Lou' seems to be a variation of 'loo,' which is the Scottish word for love."

Skip, skip, skip to my Lou,
Skip to my Lou, my darlin'.

http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_mmf_music_library_songbook/skip-to-my-lou-history-and-lyrics.htm"
Shelby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this job-related?
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really skip to the loo, but I have had to run to the loo in this country on more than one occasion.

To paraphrase Paul Theroux, why do the Chinese insist on serving up bowel-shattering meals?

Very Happy

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelby wrote:
How is this job-related?

It's hard to teach with full bowels!

I've never been able to do it.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelby wrote:
How is this job-related?

toilet -> shit -> work -> China -> job.

Not my feeling personally but some employment challenged individual just coming off of benefits might make such a connection.
twilothunder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ridiculous.

You're not about to start learning this 'Asian method' when around 95% of the toilets here are squats, even in big cities like Beijing?

Have you never been for one in the woods?

Man up! (but just make sure you carry wet tissues with you every day)
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several on-campus apartments over the years, and all were throne type toilets.
In the teaching blocks all squat type. The last school's admin block had one throne type for visiting Western dignitaries.
Those small packs of tissues are a must as it can be a long clenched thigh run back to your apartment.
Trustmart and Carrefour outlets have seats to fit above the squats. Imagine carrying one home on the bus!!
BTW 'Loo' is probably a transliteration of 'L'eau' ie French for water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: