Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Sabanci ever advertize vacancies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard62

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Does Sabanci ever advertize vacancies? Reply with quote

Does Sabanci ever advertize vacancies for EFL / EAP teachers? I have been checking their website as well as various job sites regularly, but I have never come across any job advertisement by Sabanci. Is it the case that they receive a lot of job applications and thus they never feel the need to advertize?

With an MA in TESOL (the UK), CELTA and 3 years of tertiary-level teaching experience (1 year of which is at a Turkish university) under my belt, do I stand any chance? Can I earn about 4000 TL ? And also, many instructors at Sabanci seem to have the DELTA. Would getting the DELTA increase my chances?

Thank you.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone with an MA in ESL want to get a CELTA or a DELTA? To me that seems like a doctor wanting to get a nursing license. Why don't employers understand this? It's as if Cambridge University is the absolute authority and has a monopoly on ESL pedagogy, but all it is is Cambridge making money off of their name and churning out thousands of minimally qualified teachers and watering down salaries. They did not even start the program themselves, but bought it from International House!
billy orr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear.
Paisley777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can's speak for Richard, but I got my cert first and started teaching.
Now I'm only a few classes from completing my MEd - ESL. So, by the end I will also have all of the above (and an elementary teaching Lic.)
svenhassel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabanci do not advertise but they do accept applications and hire impressively qualified people...

As for the DELTA/ M.A conversation..... In my experience the DELTA is a far better indicator of a teacher's abilities than many M.As, given that a lot of M.A programs are totally unregulated. Having said that there are some excellent MA programs out there. Want to know if a program is any good? see who is involved in the program. Chances are if there are any well known writers' names involved i.e Penny Ur, Krashen, the Julian Edge etc then you probably have a high quality of education, if not, you could be on shaky ground.....

As for not needing a DELTA if you have an MA. The DELTA is a highly practical course with some theory and it is tightly regulated..... it is 100% professional development. On the other hand a good MA will give you a solid back ground in the theory, both are essential for high quality teaching and it is this that good universities like Sabanci look for.

Good teachers do not stop learning.... ever
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I thought at some point I would reach enlightenment. Thanks for straightening me out on that. Wait a minute. What about the people who teach the delta courses? Where do they go for pd? Who is one-upping them? And so on? Do we never just get to teach and earn a living? No "terminal degree?" What a racket!
svenhassel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe people who teach DELTA read and think about their field of work.

As for enlightenment, I believe the latest thinking on TEFL is that nobody knows what they're doing, there is no correct methodology etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: