Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

News report on Ocean International language school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: News report on Ocean International language school Reply with quote

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20121201-Filipino-teacher-accuses-Vietnam-school-of-mistreatment.aspx

Not sure how much is true but it does sound possible that they told her 'work because we have your passport and can get you into trouble'
I've heard some bad stories about these schools that offer accommodation in the school for the teachers.

Can anyone here comment?
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: News report on Ocean International language school Reply with quote

BenE wrote:
http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20121201-Filipino-teacher-accuses-Vietnam-school-of-mistreatment.aspx

Not sure how much is true but it does sound possible that they told her 'work because we have your passport and can get you into trouble'
I've heard some bad stories about these schools that offer accommodation in the school for the teachers.

Can anyone here comment?

This sounds awfully suspicious.....I live in the vicinity of Thai Binh/Nam Dinh/Ninh Binh/Thanh Hoa and this is the part of the article that appalls the living hell out of me:

"Native speakers are much more expensive to hire, the report said."

First (on another thread in Dave's), there's the Public Schools in HCMC using Filipino English teachers at $2000USD a month, and now this?

WHO is spreading this PROPAGANDA all over Viet Nam that we are sooooooo prohibitively expensive to hire?? I really don't get this!!

Now, in the region of North Viet Nam that I reside near, NOBODY, except MAYBE a Tay at a University, is going to make 24 Million VND a month in this area....nuh-uh!! Nope! Ain't happening! Fact!! Hell, at the mill schools/centres in Hai Phong, they START at 24 Million a month for a Tay English Teacher!

Sooooo........that being said, WHY THE HELL would you pay a Filipino 24 Million a month when you can pay that same amount and get a real, live, Tay???

That question alone raises a red flag......
Oh My God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: News report on Ocean International language school Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
BenE wrote:

First (on another thread in Dave's), there's the Public Schools in HCMC using Filipino English teachers at $2000USD a month, and now this?

Sooooo........that being said, WHY THE HELL would you pay a Filipino 24 Million a month when you can pay that same amount and get a real, live, Tay???

Quote:
The contract offered her $1,200 a month plus bonuses, including overtime working wages, and accommodation fees. It stated that she would work six days per week with a total of 40 hours and was free to work overtime, as long as it did not exceed eight hours per day, the newspaper reported.

Just another smart VN Businessman, 1200USD plus deductions Wink

Accommodations?
Quote:
Although this causes certain inconvenience to some teachers, it is not that they have confined the teachers, he said. He noted that when Gazelle went to Hanoi to file her complaint on November 12, she had told them that she was going to a local supermarket, but no one stopped her.

Not imprisoned? You have to tell people where you are going BEFORE you can go outside? Did you ever notice how VN teachers can lay down on a Concrete Floor and sleep comfortably? Just how basic was her living accommodations?

Her passport?
Quote:
In her complaint to the embassy, the teacher, Gazelle P.A., said upon her arrival in Hanoi on November 4, she was driven 100 kilometers from the city, had her passport confiscated, and made to work immediately.

Again, not imprisoned? For Hotels, tours, leases, and other basic VN agreements you need your passport WITH up-to-date Visa.

I obtained a job before I came to VN and made 300 USD per month and lived at the school. Turned out that the school had really goood connections with the VN Mafia AND the Police. I was a victim for a little while but soon left DaNang and went to Saigon BUT not without a great deal of difficulty and with a little bit of under-the-table financial compensations.

I have no doubt that it was worse for this Fillapino girl than what was reported. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Oh My God on Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask why you have used italics in your last sentence with the rolling eyes? I thought she was Filipino, not Korean.

If there were more users here I'd do my first poll. The question would be, who is earning US $2000 on a regular basis? I'd have to agree with Letterz for the first time ever, since when are we so expensive to hire?
Oh My God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
May I ask why you have used italics in your last sentence with the rolling eyes? I thought she was Filipino, not Korean.

If there were more users here I'd do my first poll. The question would be, who is earning US $2000 on a regular basis? I'd have to agree with Letterz for the first time ever, since when are we so expensive to hire?

Thanks, I seem to be making a lot of minor mistakes. Thanks, police officer!
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My God wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Thanks, I seem to be making a lot of minor mistakes. Thanks, police officer!

You may call me colonel. You fixed your little regarding the error, but it isn't spelled....well I'll say no more.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
I'd have to agree with Letterz for the first time ever

GAH!! The world is coming to an end!!! Laughing
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: News report on Ocean International language school Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
BenE wrote:

Can anyone here comment?

This sounds awfully suspicious.....I live in the vicinity of Thai Binh/Nam Dinh/Ninh Binh/Thanh Hoa and this is the part of the article that appalls the living hell out of me:

WHO is spreading this PROPAGANDA all over Viet Nam that we are sooooooo prohibitively expensive to hire?? I really don't get this!!

Now, in the region of North Viet Nam that I reside near, NOBODY, except MAYBE a Tay at a University, is going to make 24 Million VND a month in this area....nuh-uh!! Nope! Ain't happening! Fact!! Hell, at the mill schools/centres in Hai Phong, they START at 24 Million a month for a Tay English Teacher!

Sounds like the next crack down is now on the radar...Didn't the same panic/scare happen among the TEFL Expat community and they just rounded up and deported a bunch of Africans?

Sounds like the same is coming down the pipeline for the PI nationals...

Don't worry, white faced EFL pro's will be in high demand for the forseeble future.

No BA? No Problem!

No TEFL? No Problem?

Can't teach your way out of a cardboard box? No problem!

Can't actually manage to stand and actually teach your entire class? No prob, just sit in that chair complete with a desk and computer and have the TA translate vocab for 20 mins. Cool, huh?

And the best part? The never ending-revolving door of tourist visa runs and the bank account with a tourist visa. Heck, many schools even sign contracts like that.

Gotta love VN! I sure do (I really do)!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: