Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary in Guangzhou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomad79

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Salary in Guangzhou Reply with quote

How far will a uni salary of 6700 Y/month go (12-16 teaching hours/week), free housing w subsidy for electr. in Guangzhou? Holiday allowances included. Don't know the full details yet, but for example, what would be the rough equivalent (I mean the purchasing power not the direct exchange rate) in USD?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, there are more options for spending money in GZ, compared with some smaller cities. You're only really looking at food (restaurants will be a bit more expensive than in other areas), transportation (subway ride 3-7 RMB per ride usually) and whatever drinking or nightlife you prefer. That should be enough money for many people to save but won't be nearly enough for others.

Plus GZ is a two hour train ride to Kowloon, Hong Kong, and is a transportation hub to many other areas. So if you have a travel bug, it could eat into savings. Strictly eating low to mid-range Chinese meals, cooking yourself and having the occasional night out or excursion should be very doable. An active social life (dating, night clubs, frequent trips) might spend that salary before the end of the month.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwalker wrote:
The thing is, there are more options for spending money in GZ, compared with some smaller cities. You're only really looking at food (restaurants will be a bit more expensive than in other areas), transportation (subway ride 3-7 RMB per ride usually) and whatever drinking or nightlife you prefer. That should be enough money for many people to save but won't be nearly enough for others.

Plus GZ is a two hour train ride to Kowloon, Hong Kong, and is a transportation hub to many other areas. So if you have a travel bug, it could eat into savings. Strictly eating low to mid-range Chinese meals, cooking yourself and having the occasional night out or excursion should be very doable. An active social life (dating, night clubs, frequent trips) might spend that salary before the end of the month.

I agree with this. The biggest obstacle to living in places like Guangzhou is all the choices you have available. If you don't eat at expensive restaurants all the time, by that I mean places like Indian, Pizza Hut, Tex Mex, and you're not spending your downtime at one of the many clubs in Guangzhou, or going to Hong Kong every weekend you can still live pretty good on that salary.
doogsville

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not good money for GZ, even with the housing thrown in. The electric is not going to cost much anyway, except perhaps in the middle of summer if you have to have the AC on all the time. GZ is an easy place to spend money in. There are way too many things to do and places to eat, drink and make merry in which cost, so on that salary you would have to miss out on a lot of what was going on around you. Think of it as the equivalent of living on a McDonald's wage while all your friends are living on graduates salaries back home.

It seems very low for a uni gig in GZ. Is the job through a recruiter or other agency, cos it looks suspiciously like someone is taking a bite out of the cake before passing it on to you.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
That's not good money for GZ, even with the housing thrown in.

What would you consider good money for 12-16 hours a week? These jobs pay anywhere from 4500-6000y, and this one pays a bit more which sounds about right. The things that eat up your paycheck are shopping at high end stores, traveling a lot, and drinking in expensive clubs. If you can't resist the urge to do these things often then I'd wager even 20,000 a month wouldn't be enough. But for most normal people disposable income of 6700 is fine. Get a part time job if it isn't.

doogsville wrote:
Think of it as the equivalent of living on a McDonald's wage while all your friends are living on graduates salaries back home.

Here's what a lot of graduates back home are experiencing.

Quote:
A weak labor market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don't fully use their skills and knowledge. Young adults with bachelor's degrees are increasingly scraping by in lower-wage jobs -- waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk or receptionist, for example -- and that's confounding their hopes a degree would pay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans.

"I don't even know what I'm looking for," says Michael Bledsoe, who described months of fruitless job searches as he served customers at a Seattle coffeehouse. The 23-year-old graduated in 2010 with a creative writing degree. Bledsoe, currently making just above minimum wage, says he got financial help from his parents to help pay off student loans. He is now mulling whether to go to graduate school, seeing few other options to advance his career. "There is not much out there, it seems," he said.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/04/half_of_recent_college_grads_u.html

I know it's popular on this board to knock the salaries in China but unless you've got a degree in engineering or medicine you might just be better off in Guangzhou with 6700, free apartment and a flight ticket than you would be back home. Unless you like pouring coffee or flipping burgers.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a sales rep

The shortage of jobs in our homelands should not make us come so cheap and that especially in large cities where living costs and education are expensive

Quote:
I know it's popular on this board to knock the salaries in China but unless you've got a degree in engineering or medicine you might just be better off in Guangzhou with 6700, free apartment and a flight ticket than you would be back home.
Debating boards again Confused
doogsville

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually on second glance it does seem like an okay deal. I don't think the 12 to 16 hours bit registered with me properly first time. That's probably only six to eight classes a week, assuming classes are two 50 minute periods with the standard ten minute break in between. It works out at about the same hourly rate I get for an 18 hour week. My housing 'allowance' is a bit of a joke too, but the uni digs are not to my taste.

GZ can be expensive though, but eating at work a lot and not hanging out in the GZ fleshpots expat areas will save a bit. I had a mate who went to GZ from Zhuhai in his second week here and spent 600 kuai on a bottle of whisky because he got a bit carried away with the 'atmosphere' of the club he was in.

Personally I would spend way too much on cheese and Branston Pickle if I lived in GZ, but each to their own, eh?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderingjoesmith wrote:
I hear a sales rep

The shortage of jobs in our homelands should not make us come so cheap and that especially in large cities where living costs and education are expensive

Quote:
I know it's popular on this board to knock the salaries in China but unless you've got a degree in engineering or medicine you might just be better off in Guangzhou with 6700, free apartment and a flight ticket than you would be back home.
Debating boards again Confused

big cities, little cities................if your housing is paid for, then the cost of
living for you is essentially the same.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP doesn't mention airfare.
At the common rate of 10K that's 6 weeks pay right there.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: What about freelancing on the weekends or between classes? Reply with quote

Wouldn't that add another 4000 or so?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What about freelancing on the weekends or between classe Reply with quote

TrampledKlown wrote:
Wouldn't that add another 4000 or so?

Is your comment responding to mine?
If so, not sure I understand what you're driving at.
To clarify - A 10,000RMB airfare allowance contributes as much as working for around 6 weeks, if you're on a 6000RMB per month salary.
There are too many threads asking 'Is 6k OK for Ningbo' or similar.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Post subject: What about freelancing on the weekends or between classes?

Wouldn't that add another 4000 or so?"

The subject line was kind of hidden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: