Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do (real) international schools in Colombia pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb Mer quoted a lot of names and hard figures.

It would be more like $18,000 USD/year or less for second tier schools and you would have to pay for accommodation.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I am in Cali. Schools such as Bolivar, Jefferson, Britanico, Bennett and Aleman would all be top tier schools? What is the distinction? Schools like those would pay similar salaries?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information on International Schools id advise you to go here

The International School Review

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=6215eee47664d6c9bdcd1515b5905db4
torentosan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
Nueva Granada is regarded as the best school in Colombia.

Starting in Oct I will begin my online alternative cert program so I can get a job at these institutes and make an extended stay in Colombia.

Will prob go to Venezuela first though. They pay ALOT over there.

Could you please recommend an online alternative cert program?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherReady

Great online program. 9 months $5,000

Just started it this month myself
Welcheronymus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]"The Internationalist">]TeacherReady

Great online program. 9 months $5,000

Just started it this month myself[/quote]

TI, I've seen a couple other folks mention this program. I'm actually working on the application right now. I'm debating about whether to keep working my job and finding a mentor teacher here in the US, or if I should find a teaching job overseas first and then start the program. Was it difficult to find a mentor teacher over seas?
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont really find a mentor teacher.

You find a school that is willing to let you do your field experience / student teaching there.

Id imagine most schools arent assholes and will work with you.

Id move first then start program.
Welcheronymus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, TI! Having looked at quite a few different options for getting certified, the TeacherReady program struck me as the most affordable and flexible way to go. So it's good to hear how the teaching/field experience works.
shebab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colegio Karl Parrish is the top International School in Barranquilla. They bring teachers in from North America with a top dollar salary, local stipend, and shared accommodation in nice neighborhoods.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These online teacher training cert programs will not be accepted in most international schools. You may be lucky and get in somewhere in Colombia but schools in the Middle East/Asia will not accept such a certificate. Universities and international schools (the decent jobs) don't accept online qualifications.

It would be better to do it properly and go through a teacher training college. The practical experience will be in a language school rather than an international school unless you have already scrapped in.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
These online teacher training cert programs will not be accepted in most international schools. You may be lucky and get in somewhere in Colombia but schools in the Middle East/Asia will not accept such a certificate. Universities and international schools (the decent jobs) don't accept online qualifications.

It would be better to do it properly and go through a teacher training college. The practical experience will be in a language school rather than an international school unless you have already scrapped in.

This is not true. You get the same exact Professional Teaching Certificate as someone who got their certification in University. (At least in regards to the TeacherReady program). Have to pass the same tests and also do your student teaching / field experience in a school just like any other teacher.

Id advise going over to InternationalSchoolReview and chatting with people that have done Alternative Certification Programs (online & on campus) that have and are employed at International Schools around the world.

Edit* Im am talking about for American ACPs and International School. We dont have Teacher Training Colleges so you might be talking about England or some other country, Which I dont know about.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fair points but you have to also consider the way the industry is moving as well. I have taught ESL in Europe, Asia, and Colombia. In every respect the employers are becoming a lot more picky about qualifications, and how you got them. For example, some people get standard TEFL certs but the better jobs (like British Council) are asking specifically for Trinity TESOL or CELTA.

In Asia and the Middle East online/distance learning qualifications are not accepted. There may be exceptions but many employers state that quite clearly in the job description.

As for the teacher training program you mention, I don't know about it specifically, but I would be careful about assuming that employers will accept this all over the world. If you are doing it online and are not qualified how can you be getting experience as a trainee teacher in an international/high school? Do high schools in the states accept you as a trainee and allow you to teach while studying the program? I suspect that many people will just do this while teaching in a language school.

You can make your own choice but 5000 USD is a lot of money!
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are confusing the ESL scene with actual International School teaching. They are two different beasts.

In the International School field it is either a yes or no in regards to you being employable. Which is you need to be a certified / licensed teacher in your home country (USA/Britain/Canada/Australia ect). Their is some exceptions for the lower smaller International Schools (tier 3).

Its basically comes down to are you licensed to teach X subject or not.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the examples from the ESL world to show how important it is to have the right qualifications and the right training. There is overlap, anyway, as many ESL teachers will go into the 'international' schools, especially in South America. At the higher end you will need to be properly certified, and I am not sure that an online certificate will be enough.

The second/third tier international schools only pay around 2 million pesos a month with rent and living costs to pay. That is little more (if that) than the language schools.

I asked a friend of mine who has taught at high schools for 15 years in the US about the TeacherReady program, and he had never heard of it.

Experience is important, and if you haven't done your actual training in a high school in the US or wherever then I don't think it will cut it at the decent international schools.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get no "online" certification from these ACP programs.

You get a state issued Professional Teaching Licenses, which in the case of TeacherReady, is the state of Florida teaching license. The same exact license and certification that every school teacher in the state has.

Someone would be a fool to work in a colegio or tier 2-3 international school for 2 million pesos a month straight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: