Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese Embassy Houston- To "authenticate"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishpal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Chinese Embassy Houston- To "authenticate" Reply with quote

I was told today that my papers need to be authenticated. Does this mean that they want them apostollized or certified? When I called my state of birth I was told there was a distinct difference and they could not do both on my document.

Incidentally, is this a province specific issue, or is this across the board? I am not even applying for the Visa yet, this is something the school wants for their work towards something in the interim.
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What papers? Authenticated by whom? Who is asking for this? The Chinese consulate in Houston (the embassy is in Washington DC.)? The school you are going to work for? It's hard to give an answer to your question without further information. It's a bit vague as it stands.

It may be that someone here has experience of a similar thing, but we would need to know that the thing is first.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told the Secretary of State needs to authenticate the forms. I later figured this out to mean certified. I am deducting that the forms would be limited to birth and marriage certificates. This needs to be done for the Consulate in Houston who will then turn around and authenticate the forms.

I had not heard about this requirement before, and am curious to know why it is required now, for the school, before I am at the point of applying for the Visa itself. It has just put me in a jam on time and is a little confusing.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're assuming it's your birth and marriage certificates? They didn't tell you which forms? I'm confused, I've never heard of any of this stuff. They actually said that the Secretary of State needs to do it? Mrs. Clinton isn't feeling well these days.

All sarcasm aside, I have had a couple of places try to make me jump through some bizarre hoops, but nothing like this. Maybe you should try another school.

You'r passport is the best piece of documentation for your date of birth, but why do they need to verify your marital status?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts are that either the FAO department of the school is trying to find a less embarrassing alternative to telling you that they no longer want you, or they really don't know how to manage the procedures involved with getting you the proper visa and residence permit. If it's the latter, you could have some real inconveniences in the near future. I've never heard of this certification in China. Is there anything sketchy-appearing about your degree? Some school that no one ever heard of and can't be easily verified? Do you have some passport irregularities?

Are you married to someone from another country? Perhaps it's his/her documents? Are you coming over as a couple? If so, will you both be teaching?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had to verify any certification. I've just sent scanned copies of the various items.
This doesn't mean the school does NOT have the right authorisations to hire FTs though.
They may have previously hired through an agent and are now seeking to cut out the middle person.
At my last school I was hired through an agent but when we got to the hiring season again they decided to go it alone.
The FAO asked me to copy to them all my email exchanges with the agent, which they then used as a basis for some direct hires.
So OP it may be just that you've struck an inexperienced FAO.
I assume you're being hired to start after Spring Break so it would make sense to trial direct recruiting in a situation where they only want one or two people.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Chinese Embassy Houston- To "authenticate" Reply with quote

I think this is the type of thing they are shooting for, http://houston.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/gzrz/.

I am a little surprised that this has been requested for the school to work on what I presume to be the invitation letter and maybe Foriegn Expert Cer. However, when I was at the Consulate office they did not seem surprised that this was requested prior to the completion of the Visa.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Englishpal wrote:
I was told the Secretary of State needs to authenticate the forms. I later figured this out to mean certified. I am deducting.....

and then a little later Englishpal wrote:

I think.....I am a little surprised....what I presume.....

stop thinking.
stop deducting.
stop figuring.
stop presuming.
(continue being surprised, though.)

just freakin' ask the freakin' school what freakin' authentication they want on
which freakin' documents for what freakin' purpose!

is this a new school with no history of hiring ft's?
have you asked the current/former ft's (if any) what was required of them?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
stop deducting

and deducing.

Sorry, but I let it go the first time. Twice is too much.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
stop deducting

and deducing.

Sorry, but I let it go the first time. Twice is too much.

oh yeah? or what? how much ya gonna deduce from my pay?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droll, choudoufu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: