Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a change from SK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djg2323

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Need a change from SK Reply with quote

Hello, I am currently teaching in SK and have been for the last three years. I have seen the country and I have become extremely bored here. I have also noticed that the prices of most goods are rising, while salaries are stagnant. My question is for people who have worked in SK, but now work in China:

Which country do you like working in more? Why?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need a change from SK Reply with quote

djg2323 wrote:
Which country do you like working in more? Why?

There's a lot more to see and do in China.
kev7161

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also noticed that the prices of most goods are rising, while salaries are stagnant.

Which is true in China as well, and very likely most of the world.
twilothunder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev7161 wrote:
Quote:
I have also noticed that the prices of most goods are rising, while salaries are stagnant.

Which is true in China as well, and very likely most of the world.

Echo this.
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked in Seoul for 1.5 years. Worked in Shanghai for 1.5 years. Here's my two cents.

China is a giant zoo. It is absolute chaos here. I can't really reduce it to a short paragraph without it sounding like a bitch-fest against China. Actually, I'm really bored here. The culture isn't as exciting as Korea because they don't even know what their culture is. BUT...after a year of teaching, I got into a really sweet job at corporate. I create material that is being used worldwide. It is an extremely satisfying job. This is something that anyone in China with the right talent and ambition can do. There are so many job opportunities, it's ridiculous. I actually have a career path now. My friends in Korea have been there for 5 years or more and are still doing *beep*-all, even considering a marriage visa just to get out of the teaching thing.

MOD EDIT
- http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=85563

So I guess it depends what you want. If you're looking for something on your resume, China would be a good start, but you'll need to pay your dues first. Korea has the more exciting culture, but you seem to be bored. Or maybe you just need to take a break from it to appreciate it again.

In the end though, no one can tell you exactly what will happen or how you'll perceive the experience. I can just say that from my perspective, the ideal situation would be living in Japan with my current job and the Korean salary. It's not a perfect world though, so for now, I'll stick with the job and see where that takes me. But I am not staying here for the culture.
chinadad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also echo that Chinese culture is the pits -if anyone disagrees, please describe the kind of culture that you're enjoying
twilothunder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beijing has culture. You'd have to spend a year not venturing further than Sanlitun if you can't see that.

Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace, Great Wall, Shichahai, Forbidden City, the Hutongs (what's left of them), Dongyue Temple, Fragrant Hills - all worth seeing and all places I've been back to more than once.

798, and now of course things have moved on to Caochangdi.

Good local band scene - Carsick Cars, Hang on the Box, Pet Conspiracy.

All sorts of great stuff on regularly at the NCPA.

Is food not culture? Imperial Cuisine (I mean a PROPER Imperial Banquet) is probably the best food I've ever tasted (and I have been to Italy and Spain numerous times, also lived in London; admittedly only been to France once). It is also recognised by many WESTERN chefs as one of the most, if not THE most, difficult and intricate style of cooking to master.

I'm just scratching the surface here as well.

Shanghai IS kind of boring compared to Beijing IMO.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinadad wrote:
Also echo that Chinese culture is the pits -if anyone disagrees, please describe the kind of culture that you're enjoying
South American latinos or European Spanish are fun to be or work with. Not long ago, I worked in South America and I didn't see the inflation so much although that doesn't go for Spain.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark city
You got into corporate after just one year!
Congratulations.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked in Korea for 5 years, now in China for 4. I would NEVER go back to South Korea. Wish I made the switch 4 years earlier. China is infinitely more interesting, more friendly to foreigners, not even worth comparing in terms of culture (Chinese don't know their culture but Koreans do? Ummm what?). Just my opinion...everyone's got one. I know about a dozen teachers personally who have worked in both countries and to a person they are all happier here in China. But that's just among those I know. Maybe the ones with bad experiences are gone.

Prices have gone up here a lot in the 4 years I've been here, but still significantly cheaper than Korea. I make a less in China but save about the same. I say if you're ready for a change give China a shot. It's not like Korea is going anywhere if you don't like it.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I make a less in China but save about the same.

Now try transferring those funds as easily as you could in SK Wink

I think we ought to realize it's not about the money. You should find a specific reason that is important to you.
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinatimes wrote:
Quote:
I make a less in China but save about the same.

Now try transferring those funds as easily as you could in SK Wink

I think we ought to realize it's not about the money. You should find a specific reason that is important to you.

Chinese GF goes into the bank, transfers as much money as I want in about 5 minutes. MUCH easier than SK! Haha

But you're right, money is not a good reason to come to China. There are more lucrative places to work...heck, if money is the primary concern, you're in the wrong occupation.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chinese GF goes into the bank, transfers as much money as I want in about 5 minutes. MUCH easier than SK! Haha

I didn't need a girlfriend in Korea and I could transfer twice as much because I was earning twice as much.

Ha ha ha
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinatimes wrote:
Quote:

I didn't need a girlfriend in Korea and I could transfer twice as much because I was earning twice as much.

Ha ha ha

you mean you didn't have a girlfriend, therefore you were saving twice as much.

ha ha ha ha ha
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: