Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiring of "Older" Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
It WON'T happen with an Asian employer.

I have first hand knowledge of three instances and am aware of other times it HAS happened with an Asian employer. Speaking in absolutes is wrong when it comes to China.
Not that it matters to me, but john, why don't you describe the details of those 3 instances so the OP has a fair chance of comparing to his own situation?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Last term there was a married couple here, he was 66, she was 63. They applied from their home state of Washington. They were here until June; in May they were offered renewals (by then he was 67, she was 64). They refused (she did, actually; couldn't handle the weather here Very Happy ) and returned to the US. He sent me an e-mail last week telling me he had accepted a position in Guangzhou beginning in February.

That's one instance; the other two (and the others I heard of) were roughly the same circumstances; one of them is still in Zhengzhou and still teaching, I guess he'd be in his mid-70s now.

I was hired by this school from Mexico and arrived here two months shy of my 59th birthday. I renewed last month until July 2014 (I compromised a little, they wanted me to stay five years).
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my last gig I was hired at 65+ by a provincial government vocational college in an attractive coastal city. This was after a gap of 3 years since I previously worked in PRC.
I have an associate degree in business and a 40-hour ESL CERT.
In my experience, anyone who states categorically that 'X Y or Z is impossible in China' either hasn't worked here or is trolling for bites.
OP you just have to be more proactive than a younger person.
PM if you need additional help but you should be looking to be really active now in the lead up to the hiring season (Sept 2013 start).
piglet44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the province in China and how much guangxi they have. There are about 80 foreign teachers at my current uni and several of them are over 60. I am 56 and my husband is 66 and nobody seems bothered about our age.So as was said before you can't generalize about China it's different in different provinces.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 60+ and working here in China. If you have the experience an employer wants, you can work in China at any age.
BizLiz

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: If you're good age is not a factor... Reply with quote

My neighbor "Tucker" just turned 70 and he is still in demand with the parents in our community. When you are good I don't think the age matters much - only to the public school system. Tucker has been teaching over 15 years in Beijing and the students love him. He'll probably teach until he drops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: