Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on a tourist visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom567

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Working on a tourist visa Reply with quote

I have an offer to work for a small school. I have submitted my paperwork for the visa to the employer and have been told that it will take four to six weeks for it to process.

My employer wants me to come into the country on a tourist visa and begin working. Said employer has informed me not to mention the job to Immigration if I am asked.

This is an obvious red flag, but I am guessing that she has an immediate need to fill and Immigration does not have too much of a problem with a small business doing something like this if the paperwork is being processed.

Your thoughts?
kah5217

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant red flag to me. You'll get arrested and hauled off to the immigration dungeon if you work on a tourist visa and they find out.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this once.........just keep a low profile until the paperwork comes through for the visa.......immigration won't ask but if they do just say you are here sightseeing........
Tom567

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the penalties for the employer if found out?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom567 wrote:
What are the penalties for the employer if found out?

For the employer? Almost none. For the person working illegally? Lots. Automatic revocation of visa status, forced removal from Japan, barring from entry for 5-10 years. Flow on effects because they'd been removed from Japan would be automatic barring of entry for any reason, including transit, from most of the EU, Australia, NZ, the US, Canada, etc.

Lots of people do it, but then, lots of people are amazingly stupid.
abbajen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it if I were you. I had a similar offer - I told them that I needed the visa before coming. They said it was fine. So, I'm leaving in a little under a month. It only took about 2 weeks for my Certificate of Eligibility to process, and I will be getting it this week. Then, the consulate says the visa will only take 4-7 days, so...
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been told why they want you to work like that? There MIGHT be a valid one, but there MIGHT NOT.

In either case, you would be the one to suffer most of the penalties. I'd just say sorry, but you can't. No further explanation needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: