Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Application for a Certificate of Eligibility?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew H

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Application for a Certificate of Eligibility? Reply with quote

I have been offered a job teaching in Japan again and the company has given me 10 working days to accept the position and send them the documents necessary for them to apply for a certificate of eligibility (COE). I am interested in the job but I have also applied for some other teaching jobs in Japan and some of them are better positions (more money, better location etc). I want to know if there would be a problem if I accepted the position with the first company and they began to apply for my COE and work visa, and then I rejected the offer if a better offer from another company came along, and they then went and applied for a COE and work visa for me.

Basically does anyone know if it would be a problem for me to have two different companies apply for a COE for me in a short space of time?

Thanks in advance for your help.
kah5217

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say it will raise a red flag at immigration and ruin the chances for either job.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
They say it will raise a red flag at immigration and ruin the chances for either job.

So it should. If a school is taking the time and effort to get you a work visa, then you turn around and start the process all over again with what looks like a better offer, don't be surprised when the second school finds someone else closer or cheaper and in turn dumps you therefore leaving you with no job.
Matthew H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the replies.

Looks like I have a difficult decision to make, but it's a nice one to have.
kah5217

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd continue with the first company. You have an offer from them, take advantage of it.

If it helps, though, once you get the visa it is yours until it expires. If things don't work out with company A you can see if company B has an opening.
thomthom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in a similar predicament, the only tenable job offer I received was not so attractive (only 210� a month, quite rural location), but I took it anyway. My COE arrived yesterday morning.

If Japanese visas weren't so versatile, then I would never have taken it, but it's true - you could just get a few months down and then switch jobs if --IF-- you have savings to tide you over. If you're going to Japan with minimal savings then obviously it's more important you choose the right job first time!
Matthew H

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you two.

Yeah i have lived in japan before when but now i have more teaching experience and better japanese i was hoeing to get a better position but i have no doubt that accepting one is better then rejecting one and been left with none.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: