Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An opportunity in Iran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: An opportunity in Iran Reply with quote

I recently noticed this posting on the international jobs board (it's from the 4th, but since I'm not actively looking for a new job right now, I don't read it every day).

Quote:

Afarin Law Firm in Iran is intending to start in house English language training for lawyers and their families. The lessons will be in the form of one tow one, one to two, small groups and for different levels. Methodology and course materials are flexible depending on the lessons and students needs and can be discussed and agreed. Some general administration work is part of the job.

We are therefore recruiting 2 qualified and/or experienced English Language teachers under the following terms:

Up to 30 hours of teaching, in addition to 10 hours of admin work.
Pay: $10 per hour for teaching and $2 per hour for admin work.
Accommodation: The company offers suitable accommodation in Tehran.
Visa: The company will apply for visa.
Flight: This depends on agreement, in some cases the flight can be paid for.
Terms: minimum 6 months, extendable on mutual agreement.

You'd think that firms in a theocratic petrostate would be able to pay more, but then seeing as how few jobs are posted for Iran (in fact this is the first I've ever seen on any job site, though admittedly, I haven't been looking), I suppose they'll get plenty of applicants just out of curiosity. (And in fairness, Iran is probably a bit more culturally vibrant than Saudi Arabia.)

Oh, and I love the "qualified and/or experienced" bit. Laughing

~Q
douglas1969

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well at least they seem to be upfront and honest about what they are really offering.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I have seen an Iranian posting, I have applied, not only on Dave's but other locations as well, but there is never any reply. I am American so I imagine that is part of it.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: An opportunity in Iran Reply with quote

Quote:
You'd think that firms in a theocratic petrostate would be able to pay more, but then seeing as how few jobs are posted for Iran (in fact this is the first I've ever seen on any job site, though admittedly, I haven't been looking), I suppose they'll get plenty of applicants just out of curiosity. (And in fairness, Iran is probably a bit more culturally vibrant than Saudi Arabia.)

Oh, and I love the "qualified and/or experienced" bit. Laughing

~Q

My best friend is Persian (Muslim) and has been home a couple of times over the past 30 years to visit her parents (her passport pic was hilarious with most of her face covered.) My ex-bf of 7 years is also Persian (Jewish) his cousin went a few years ago to see about some family property they had the deed for and was put in jail. Both of them have told me the country is actually very very poor. And not much in the way of civil or human rights. It would be interesting to visit but a little scary IMO.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one that I know that has visited has found it the least bit scary. All have enjoyed it immensely and loved the place. Of course, those with Irani family ties are a whole other issue.

Very low pay, of course, but it might be interesting for those looking for more adventure than money.

One detail that jumped out was that they "will apply for a visa" - no comment as to whether they pay for this visa or if there is any hope of it actually showing up. Cool

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
No one that I know that has visited has found it the least bit scary. All have enjoyed it immensely and loved the place. Of course, those with Irani family ties are a whole other issue.

I'm with VS on this one. I've heard similar positive comments from friends---two Americans and a South African---who have separately toured Iran within the last 15 years. One even visited twice and couldn't say enough about the warm welcome and hospitality of the Iranian people she met. By contrast, a national's personal experiences and perspectives about their home country can be quite biased---good and bad. I'd argue that regardless of which country a person hails from, there's generally a different set of socio-political dynamics at play for nationals.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My objection isn't to visiting Iran. I'd dearly love to visit the place as a tourist. My point is that it doesn't seem like a great place to live, long term, and you'd expect the pay to reflect that to some degree, as it does in Saudi. (Not perhaps as much as Saudi, but those rates are below Turkey, and there's almost no oil in Turkey.)

My impression from talking to Iranians in Turkey is that Iran and Turkey is that the cost of living is about the same in Tehran as in Ankara and Istanbul.

rdobbs98 wrote:
Every time I have seen an Iranian posting, I have applied, not only on Dave's but other locations as well, but there is never any reply. I am American so I imagine that is part of it.

Interesting, but not surprising. So far as I can tell, it's relatively easy for nationals of all developed countries except Americans and Britons to get Iranian tourist visas. Americans and Britons must pay an extremely high, non-refundable application fee, have an Iranian tour guide accompany us at all times, and still risk having our visa being rejected or accepted, but turned away on entry.

I'd imagine work visas are a similar story. And with VS's point about the applying for a work visa, they may be hoping to get Antipodeans who can travel to Iran visa-free, or Canadians and Irish, who have a much easier time getting tourist visas than their larger neighbors.

Of course I'm also surprised that this ad would appeal to said nationalities; I feel like Australians and Kiwis have no reason to work in Iran for this money when they can live in Turkey or the Gulf and take an easy trip there. Not sure about Irish and Canadians though, since they do need a pre-arrival visa, though the process seems to be considerably easier than for Americans and Brits.

~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the sanctions put in place by "the Great Satan" and ihis allies, it is not surprising that visas for "Crusdaers" are hard to come by.

I was invited to do some examining in Teheran back in 2007 (?) but coulod not get a visa.

I have resigned myself to never seeing Persepolis. Iran was a developed culture when the rest of the world were barbarians. We sometines forget that.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Given the sanctions put in place by "the Great Satan" and ihis allies, it is not surprising that visas for "Crusdaers" are hard to come by.

I don't see why. Out of anti-communist paranoia, American and Britain killed off Mossadegh, and thus decapitated the secular nationalist movement. We supported Iraq in the Iran-Iraq War, a war which allowed the Islamists to tighten control in a period when they'd been deeply unpopular. And then we removed the Taliban and the Iraqi Baathists, two of Iran's greatest enemies, from their respective fiefdoms.

Loathe as their (and our) leaders might be to admit it, the great Anglo-Atlantic Alliance has probably done more to advance the cause of Islamic Republic than any other outside force.

scot47 wrote:
I was invited to do some examining in Teheran back in 2007 (?) but coulod not get a visa.

I have resigned myself to never seeing Persepolis. Iran was a developed culture when the rest of the world were barbarians. We sometines forget that.

It was also a pagan and later Zoroastrian country at the time, a part of its heritage (including Persepolis) that the Ayatollahs would rather forget about.

~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europe and the USA are practising boycotts and embargoes. The problem with visas is tied into that. My sympathies are with Teheran.

Last edited by scot47 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
taxman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Persepolis Reply with quote

I was home sick a few weeks ago and watched the Rick Steeve's travel video about Iran. He said it was one of the most fascinating places he ever visited. Some good footage of Persepolis there, Scot47. You should be able to find it on you tube. Also a great video from a French gentlemen (forget his name) for a series called "Don't Tell my Mother I'm in ...." I would love to visit Iran. I am an American, but in the process of getting my German citizenship. I wonder if that would make it easier to get into Iran or are all Western countries viewed the same. (I believe Germany is also participating in the embargo....)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions about Iran visas are probably more appropriate on a travel discussion board. I'd suggest the Lonely Planet Thorntree. They will have the most up-to-date visa news and you can join and ask about using the German passport.

VS
taxman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VS. I will also take a look at the embassy's website. Was just trying to get to 5 posts as quickly as possible. Very Happy
teechagimme

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met some guys from Iran when I did a zip-line tour in Thailand and they made me laugh like a monkey. It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without them. Then, a year or so later when I got my Celta in Istanbul, two of my fellow students were Iranian. We bonded immediately. I happen to be an American Christian. If given the chance to go to Iran, I would go in a heartbeat but I'm not sure I would want to live there. The Iranian guy that I met didn't want to live there anymore and he now lives in London. The woman that I met invited me to visit any time. I would like to but funds are limited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: