Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Men Over 50 & Not Enough Money

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Foreign Men Over 50 & Not Enough Money Reply with quote

Can't marry Cambodian women:

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/life/foreign-low-earning-and-over-50-you-can-forget-about-wedding-cambodian-woman-58258
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How in world could they verify foreign income?? I am an English teacher and only make about 1,500 usd and free housing. Guess that means I can't work in Cambodia and marry my Girlfriend if I found one.

Why go and teach there at all if this is the case. Also, there are some major safety issues, land mines ect. Also,the little war going on with Thailand. This sort of racist thinking that foreigners owe them something will not go far. I think İ will head to Laos instead.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think Laos has a similar if not identical law. Not sure though, but get some confirmation before you head there.

Anybody got any info about this?
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way around this a fiance visa. All you do is take your girl back home, marry her then come back. Don't the cambodian government wants tyo deal with state department on there ass. Also, what if the girl is pregnate??
the lowlander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkpatrick,

Your garbled, error ridden, posts basically say,

Why work in Cambodia if you can't marry the local girls?

What happens if your girlfriend is "pregnate" ?

MOD EDIT

I can't wait until Cambodia wakes up, and brings in proper regulation regarding ex-pat teachers.

And by the way, you need proper permission to marry in Laos too, even if your girlfriend is "pregnate" whatever "pregnate" might be!
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper regulation of expat teachers would imply making sure expats get the right documents to work legally in the country. All this law does is take rights away from expats, something none of us should be in favor of.Well the Cambodian government isn't exactly known for being progressive so have at it.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we meet again JoR!!!

I'm 100% against taking any rights away from expats.

However, I'm also 100% against a certain type of individual passing himself off as a "teacher" in order to drive his railway train into a tunnel, or launch his rocket into space. If you get my drift.

I'm a real advocate of proper regulation within the EFL industry, for a number of reasons, and I think it's high time we thought about launching an internationally recognised professional body to both ensure standards, and limit access to the field.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Actually, I think Laos has a similar if not identical law. Not sure though, but get some confirmation before you head there.

Anybody got any info about this?

The law in Cambodia merly forbids old dudes fron western countries without proper income from marrying 18 y/o Cambodian girls.

In Laos, the draconian law forbids sexual intercourse with any Laotian and a foreigner unless they are legally married. Rolling Eyes

Yep. You read that right. Meet a 25 y/o Laotian that wants some E lessons, you have a little side-lesson Cool and BOOM BOOM BOOM Laotian People's Police are at the door Shocked
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you have to make $2,550/month, and be under 50. (Also, there's no exceptions for a 51 year old man who wants to marry, say a 51 year old Cambodian widow/divorcee.)

This seems to be more likely to affect local teachers than sex tourists or loser men looking for foreign wives. After all, it's pretty hard to make that much in Cambodia, but it's wicked easy to make that much in the United States and fly over there.

Though of course that's the point. As the article makes clear, it's about making attractive young couples, and ensuring a good life for Cambodian women or rather, at least based on the comments to that article, more about ensuring a good life for their extended family and a flow of remittances to Cambodia.

It seems to me that this law thus essentially treats Cambodian women like an income source rather than people.

the lowlander wrote:
Kirkpatrick,

Your garbled, error ridden, posts basically say,

[i]Why work in Cambodia if you can't marry the local girls?

To be fair, he seems to be asking more why he should go to a country where prospects of marriage for him are pretty much out. Even though it's possible, even likely, that he could still get laid there. (That's unfortunately why a lot of Western men go to SE Asia.)

I think that's a somewhat reasonable question. It's similar to my objection to working in Islamic (as opposed to merely Muslim-majority) countries. The fact that I've never asked out a local anywhere I've worked, and never dated anyone (I did ask out out some fellow expats in Korea, but was turned down) doesn't change the fact that I like having the option.

Expat communities tend to range from "small" to "nonexistent," which means that unless you get incredibly lucky, if you date, you're probably going to want to count in the locals. Something that women in both Cambodia and Islamic countries are still allowed to do, but men totally aren't. (Unless they're young and rich or convert to Islam respectively.)

~Q
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: