Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELTA in Hanoi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newcomber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: DELTA in Hanoi Reply with quote

Hello and Happy New Year!

I am writing to get responses on taking the DELTA modules in Hanoi. I have just recently hit the 2 year mark teaching EFL here in Hanoi, and I think the training and qualifications involved with such a program could be quite helpful.

I have come across a couple of threads on Dave's that refer to the DELTA--to an extent--but cannot find where that was. One particular thread I am thinking of has an individual who wrote about reading material that should be studied before taking the DELTA, for example.

Since being in Hanoi, I have been teaching children and teenagers mostly. I did not anticipate this; I thought I would take a higher interest in teaching adults after my CELTA in HCM. Yet, it seems as if I have done pretty well with kids and teens classes, and I am compelled to continue to teach them.

Here are some questions. -- 1) In your opinion, is the DELTA useful for someone in my position as an EFL teacher that is primarily teaching young learners? 2) Where besides ILA are the DELTA modules offered in Hanoi?

Any information that you may have would be appreciated concerning the DELTA in Hanoi.

-nc
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the ILA Delta was in HCMC.

Perhaps look at doing the CELTA-YL extension that is aimed at teaching young learners.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The DELTA now has some YL implications. Some of the input sessions will address YL and you can actually do your module 3 on YL if you wish.

In general the DELTA will really stimulate your mind and possibly lead you to look at TEFL in a whole different light.

In terms of career development, a DELTA will get your foot in the door for jobs with places like British Council and RMIT. Additionally, it is often a prerequisite for DOS and AM positions. Teacher trainers also get the DELTA.

The DELTA is not a teaching license or a PGCE. What I mean is that it won't get you jobs in public schools. It's basically only recognized in language schools. Some International Schools may hire DELTA teachers for their EFL classes, but they generally require an MA, too.

Speaking of MAs, the DELTA can get you credit towards an MA TESOL / Applied Linguistics at many British universities.

DELTA versus MA TESOL is a whole other issue. People who have the DELTA swear that it's more useful and practical than the MA. The MA is very theory-based, whereas the DELTA is pretty hands-on geared to teaching.

ILA DELTA is in Ho Chi Minh City. In recent years it has been limited to only teachers from ILA, but I've heard the August 2012 session will be open to non-ILA teachers. The ILA DELTA is full-on. You have input sessions and teaching practice 6-8 hours per day for 8-9 weeks. So you've got to have the time and money to swing that, not to mention the focus and work ethic.

Apollo offers the distance DELTA. A possible drawback to this option is that it may be tough to get an external assessor into the country at a time that you choose or desire.

You can take Module 1 (the exam) alone, paying only the exam fee. The exam is in June in HCMC. It is entirely possible to pass Module 1 on a self-study basis. You will need to read up and have a look at some past papers. A benefit of taking Module 1 on your own is that the knowledge you need to pass the exam will serve you very well in Modules 2 and 3. Furthermore, it's much easier to focus on your teaching practice and Module 3 when you don't have the exam breathing down your neck.
Newcomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your in-depth response Toiyeuthitmeo. And thanks, Kurtz, for your input as well.

The DELTA sounds like a good way to go for me. I have taught adults in the past, and I may get back into that more so in the future. Also, knowing there are elements of the DELTA focused on YLs is good news.

I could possibly swing the course(s) in August (2013 you meant to say Toiyeuthitmeo?) if I cancel a week or two of work and make sure I have the money. I have read somewhere that each module is like $1,000 USD. That is do-able, it seems, and worth the commitment in terms of how it would influence my outlook on EFL and teaching skills. If there is no reliable DELTA training in Hanoi, then I guess I will be back in HCM training again. That will probably be a bit surreal!

I want pragmatic, hands-on training for EFL, particularly in Vietnam. I think the DELTA is sounding more and more like the path I should take. The CELTAYL sounds very useful as well, but I am not sure if the qualifications of attaining this certification supersede that of what I already have with the regular CELTA.
Newcomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.discovereltvietnam.com/page.php?p=240

Wow. Now that really is intensive. I would have to be in class from August to October full-time. I am not so sure I can do that. I will have to look into other ways of getting this done.

It is good to know it is out there though.

-nc
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably go down this route

http://www.bellenglish.com/Courses/Teacher/Training/77035/Online-Delta-/2013-02-18/
Newcomber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is probably the way to go. It seems as if there are multiple ways of approaching distance learning. You could work and study at the same time this way. I have come across this one: http://thedistancedelta.com/ -- This provider has 'orientation' locations for candidates. I need to compare the internet DELTA providers, lotta info.

In the meantime I need access to the reading materials I need to study up on things DELTA. Are these books available in VN? Perhaps there are books like that for sale in HCM. I remember there being a lot of books for sale when I was taking my CELTA. I remember Scrivener kept coming up, so I bought Learning Teaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: