Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I love my life....so I am leaving
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morientes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: I love my life....so I am leaving Reply with quote

I have loved working in China (Chengdu) for the last year and 1/2. I am as happy as could be. So it might seem an odd decision to leave China. But my dream is to live in many different countires. It is a life long dream. So that is why I am considering working in another country.

So my question is...where else can I work without a Celta? I plan to get it in 2014 when I have the time and money. So are there any countries I can work in before getting a Celta? Here are my qualifications: MA in History, 2 years experience teaching ESL...6 years as teacher in USA. My first choice countries would be Japan, Russia, Turkey, India. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: I love my life....so I am leaving Reply with quote

Morientes wrote:
I have loved working in China (Chengdu) for the last year and 1/2. I am as happy as could be. So it might seem an odd decision to leave China. But my dream is to live in many different countires. It is a life long dream. So that is why I am considering working in another country.

So my question is...where else can I work without a Celta? I plan to get it in 2014 when I have the time and money. So are there any countries I can work in before getting a Celta? Here are my qualifications: MA in History, 2 years experience teaching ESL...6 years as teacher in USA. My first choice countries would be Japan, Russia, Turkey, India. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Degree = check.
Teacher certification = check.
Experienced in the classroom = check.
Experienced in an EFL classroom = check.
Willingness to change countries = check.

Pick one and move on. For Asia the CELTA is NOT necessary to get a job.

miso_ramen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA (or equivalent) is required (officially at least) in Turkey and Russia, dont think you'll find many jobs advertised that don't require one. Situation on the ground may be different, but don't know.

I doubt India has many jobs, never seen any advertised. English is widely spoken there and English is an official language.

Japan, you don't need CELTA although it may help you get better jobs, Korea and Taiwan is the same I believe. U could try SE Asia as well although CELTA is an official requirement there as well, and the good schools will want one. Europe and Middle East you'll definitely need a CELTA.

Latin America don't know, but I expect good schools will want one.
miso_ramen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further thought, if you have a state teaching license then you could look at international schools, although if the license is for history you may not find it that easy getting a job teaching ESL.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: I love my life....so I am leaving Reply with quote

Morientes wrote:

china is many countries.....or would seem that way if you travel much.
try a different location:

xishuangbanna
guilin
xinjiang
tibet
hainan
wuhan
qingdao
inner freakin' mongolia
Morientes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys.

I was wondering what countries have the most jobs for non-CELTA/TESOL etc. teachers. I was hoping it would be as easy to find a job as it was for me in China (It was super easy...first try at a good job). Am I right to assume it won't be as easy the next time?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miso_ramen wrote:
CELTA (or equivalent) is required (officially at least) in Turkey and Russia, dont think you'll find many jobs advertised that don't require one.

Not so sure about Celta being an official requirement in Russia... and certainly no bar to finding work in reality in any case.
Shelby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not be a requirement but I employed a teacher without CELTA and no regret it bit time.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true too. But as Morientes wants to re-locate to another country where Celta is not an official requirement, Russia is probably on the list - despite the post to the contrary. However, whether or not it would be advisable to come here, not having a Celta, is another question. In fairness, I should have made that explicit earlier, I suppose.

Hangovers. Urrrggghhhh....
Shelby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reread my last post. Hangovers are a problem! But I still regret hiring a teacher without CELTA or equivalent!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing for it, Shelby, except the hair of the dog...
Morientes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a job offer in Taiwan that will give a tesol certificate and a job at the same time. (You need to complete a 120 hr program as part of your job training). Is this common? I wouldn't mind doing this before my next job if I don't need to go in debt to do it. As you can see, affordability is a big issue for me since I do not have much savings. Do many jobs offer a "free" Tesol as part of the job?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morientes wrote:
I just saw a job offer in Taiwan that will give a tesol certificate and a job at the same time. (You need to complete a 120 hr program as part of your job training). Is this common? I wouldn't mind doing this before my next job if I don't need to go in debt to do it. As you can see, affordability is a big issue for me since I do not have much savings. Do many jobs offer a "free" Tesol as part of the job?

If you are certified as a teacher then get a job in a public school in Taiwan.
They offer a much better package (55000-80000 TWD (12-17k RMB) per month + housing, airfare and other benefits. Why work for a buxiban?

There are LOTS of jobs in SE Asia for anyone with a degree, experience in the classroom and willingness to get on a plane to the country of choice.

TESOL/CELTA/TEFL are NOT required in ANY country in East Asia if you are a certified teacher.

Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: I love my life....so I am leaving Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
Morientes wrote:

china is many countries.....or would seem that way if you travel much.
try a different location:

xishuangbanna
guilin
xinjiang
tibet
hainan
wuhan
qingdao
inner freakin' mongolia

Interestinbg post but I have an O/T question. Cool

What Superman movie is your avatar from? Confused
choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superman III
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: