Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dubai - What EFL Teaching Opportunities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ah_yes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Dubai - What EFL Teaching Opportunities? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm a native English speaker, currently an EFL instructor at one of the top unis in Saudi, I have a Masters, and a UK Celta, 4 years total teaching experience UK and Saudi. Very happy in my job, great salary, family are with me, we're comfortable. We keep hearing how much nicer it is to live in Dubai, more modern outlook, modern place, Salaa doesn't shut all the shops, women not forced to wear abaya and can drive etc. (hoping my information correct)

Which unis/colleges in Dubai hire EFL instructors with my exp/qual?
Thanks.
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A related Masters in ESL/TEFOL plus your experience if at a tertiary level would probably put you in a good position for favourable look sees.

Not sure what you're referring to with Salaa??? No women are legally allowed to drive in Saudi and have to wear an Abaya in public in my 12+ years experience?

Dubai is wide open in comparison with Saudi .

Google the tertiary institutions, the only recruiter with a good reputation is ADEC avoid all others. Reputable employers solicit direct applicants via their websites.
ah_yes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice!

Did you mean that you've lived 12+ years in Saudi and don't know what I meant by Salaa closing all the shops? Maybe it's spelt Salah, the five-times-a-day prayer-times that shut everything down in Saudi.
Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dubai - What EFL Teaching Opportunities? Reply with quote

ah_yes wrote:
We keep hearing how much nicer it is to live in Dubai, more modern outlook, modern place, Salaa doesn't shut all the shops, women not forced to wear abaya and can drive etc.

Why not take a weekend trip to the Emirates to get a sense of how different it is from the Kingdom. Also, consider attending TESOL Arabia's upcoming annual conference and job fair in Dubai. It's slated for March 14-16.
ah_yes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know about the conference nomad soul, a visit to Dubai is also a good idea.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dubai - What EFL Teaching Opportunities? Reply with quote

ah_yes wrote:
more modern outlook, modern place, Salaa doesn't shut all the shops, women not forced to wear abaya and can drive etc. (hoping my information correct)

All true... in comparison to Saudi, Dubai is like Las Vegas. Laughing All is relative, of course. But no necessity to wear the same clothes as the locals for women... I always had my own car. And since Dubai is all about commerce, nothing closes for prayers that I ever noticed (perhaps some on Friday for mid-day services). Booze and pork are readily available if they are of interest to you.

But, don't limit yourself to just one city. I wouldn't be interested in Dubai because the traffic is so bad there. I would take Nomad's advice and attend TESOLArabia to see what kind of jobs interest you all over the Gulf outside of Saudi. Check university websites around the Gulf to see what is available. Most of them put openings and take applications on their websites.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn't specific. I've lived in 3 GCC countries in 12+ years, never heard of Salaa but then I've never been in Saudi.

Your post suggested and I quote " We keep hearing how much nicer it is to live in Dubai, more modern outlook, modern place, Salaa doesn't shut all the shops, women not forced to wear abaya and can drive etc. (hoping my information correct)" to me that said that Salaa doesn't shut ..... blah blah blah according to your OP.

Mine perhaps wasn't exactly clear either. Regrets on that.

Dubai is nothing like Saudi. Hope that's clear.
ah_yes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my late reply... thanks to all respondents!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sala'ah is the Arabic word for prayer. In KSDA most places close at prayer time (except for high-class hotel facilities). Some non-Muslims can never get used to this and uise it as one of their reasons for disliking KSA. It did not bother me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: