Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Kindergarten (or High School) in Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColinColinColin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Teaching Kindergarten (or High School) in Vietnam Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm moving to Vietnam (probably Hanoi) soon and would prefer to teach kindergarten but I can't find much information about it on here or anywhere else. Can anyone give me any general advice please? e.g are jobs easy to get, what time of year is best etc. etc. If kindergartens jobs are not available then I would prefer high school and can't find much about that either, so if anyone could give any similar info on that too if would be appreciated. Many thanks for any help.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Kindergarten (or High School) in Vietnam Reply with quote

ColinColinColin wrote:
Hi all. I'm moving to Vietnam (probably Hanoi) soon and would prefer to teach kindergarten but I can't find much information about it on here or anywhere else. Can anyone give me any general advice please? e.g are jobs easy to get, what time of year is best etc. etc. If kindergartens jobs are not available then I would prefer high school and can't find much about that either, so if anyone could give any similar info on that too if would be appreciated. Many thanks for any help.

Hello!

I can't comment on Hanoi but I can tell you this:

If you are willing, able and good at teaching kids from Pre-school to Kinder and/or 1st-6th grades you are like solid gold here and will have more hours/work then you know what to do with.

Govt. Schools usually contract out to a langauge inst. and they place you. Language schools also have tons of all kids classes that many western teachers dislike or simply refuse to teach.

Again, solid gold Cool
ColinColinColin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Professor. In what kind of place could I find kindergarten work? In language schools that teach all ages? Or are there just kindergartens that hire foreign teachers? I've plenty of experience but I've not visited Vietnam before so am not sure what kind of schools tend to have jobs for foreign teachers. Thanks again.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinColinColin wrote:
Thanks Professor. In what kind of place could I find kindergarten work? In language schools that teach all ages? Or are there just kindergartens that hire foreign teachers? I've plenty of experience but I've not visited Vietnam before so am not sure what kind of schools tend to have jobs for foreign teachers. Thanks again.

Hello, once in VN, if you go to HCMC and send me a PM,
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinColinColin wrote:

I sent you a PM, check your inbox. Try getting your post count up to about 5 and you can PM folks...

Happy Holidays!
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Kindergarten (or High School) in Vietnam Reply with quote

ColinColinColin wrote:

How do we know this isn't lioli posting under a new ID ?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99216
ColinColinColin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I am not a 19 year old girl. Wink
aqm22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Kindergarten (or High School) in Vietnam Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
ColinColinColin wrote:

Hello!

I can't comment on Hanoi but I can tell you this:

If you are willing, able and good at teaching kids from Pre-school to Kinder and/or 1st-6th grades you are like solid gold here and will have more hours/work then you know what to do with.

Govt. Schools usually contract out to a langauge inst. and they place you. Language schools also have tons of all kids classes that many western teachers dislike or simply refuse to teach.

Again, solid gold Cool

Can I really find a lot of work working with kids? I have a solid 3years of experience working with elementary kids. I don't even want to think about having to teach adults. How would I even try to find those jobs?
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Professor nailed it.

Also up here in The North, NOBODY (myself included) wants the kiddy-kiddy gigs. Private English Language Centres/Schools are offering everything including the kitchen sink to anyone who wants to take on the kiddies!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
The Professor nailed it.

Also up here in The North, NOBODY (myself included) wants the kiddy-kiddy gigs. Private English Language Centres/Schools are offering everything including the kitchen sink to anyone who wants to take on the kiddies!

Don't invest money on a TEFL course if you're coming to Asia to teach, you'll do much better getting some ECE (Early Childhood Education) credits, certs etc esp anything to do with ESL & ECE.

If you want and can teach young kids you can work from dawn to dusk...
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting an ECE but I have no problem teaching young children in grades 1-5 and I have seen no evidence whatsoever that I will get hours upon hours of work and buckets of cash smothered with oodles of benefits. After four years here and plenty of contacts I have found absolutely nothing to suggest my net pay would be anymore than half of what I'd make teaching any age in Korea (for example).

I have more than 5 posts and 10+ years experience teaching elementary children. Please PM me with this goldmine of work. I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am also completely unaware of any issue with foreigners teaching children. Most teachers I've met here teach children. Most foreigners I've met here seem to think the money is in teaching high school children. This has been my experience as well in HCMC.

The attitude here seems to be that anybody can teach kids. But not everyone can teach grammar to older, more advanced students. The pay and benefits rise along with age and student level not the other way around.

As I said feel free to enlighten me otherwise. I would greatly appreciate it.
bobpen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
solid gold

Quote:
more hours/work then you know what to do with

Quote:
tons of all kids classes

Quote:
you can work from dawn to dusk.

Warning signs.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
...... I have seen no evidence whatsoever that I will get hours upon hours of work and buckets of cash smothered with oodles of benefits. After four years here and plenty of contacts I have found absolutely nothing to suggest my net pay would be anymore than half of what I'd make teaching any age in Korea (for example).

I have more than 5 posts and 10+ years experience teaching elementary children. Please PM me with this goldmine of work. I'd greatly appreciate it.

I dunno....define "goldmine" and also "buckets of cash"

In Ha Noi and Hai Phong, I was routinely approached by Asst. Directors of kiddy-kiddy schools and badgered to teach there. Same thing with most colleagues of mine in those two cities. I'd receive offers of anything from 500,000VND per classroom hour up to 750,000VND per classroom hour.

VietCanada wrote:
After four years here and plenty of contacts I have found absolutely nothing to suggest my net pay would be anymore than half of what I'd make teaching any age in Korea (for example).

I'm also talking comparing Viet Nam to Viet Nam in terms gig availability and fee payment teaching adults and high schoolers vs. teaching young children, not Viet Nam to Korea.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
VietCanada wrote:
...... I have seen no evidence whatsoever that I will get hours upon hours of work and buckets of cash smothered with oodles of benefits. After four years here and plenty of contacts I have found absolutely nothing to suggest my net pay would be anymore than half of what I'd make teaching any age in Korea (for example).

I dunno....define "goldmine" and also "buckets of cash"

In Ha Noi and Hai Phong, I was routinely approached by Asst. Directors of kiddy-kiddy schools and badgered to teach there. Same thing with most colleagues of mine in those two cities. I'd receive offers of anything from 500,000VND per classroom hour up to 750,000VND per classroom hour.

VietCanada wrote:
After four years here and plenty of contacts I have found absolutely nothing to suggest my net pay would be anymore than half of what I'd make teaching any age in Korea (for example).

I'm also talking comparing Viet Nam to Viet Nam in terms gig availability and fee payment teaching adults and high schoolers vs. teaching young children, not Viet Nam to Korea.

I'm talking about HCMC in Vietnam. I'd be interested (perhaps the OP and others would too) in learning what schools offer those rates in those towns you've mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: