Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AFORE (R.C.V.) / Retirement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: AFORE (R.C.V.) / Retirement Reply with quote

Hello all!

I have been teaching at a private Mexican university for two years on a renewable yearly contract. Everything is going well. I will complete my second year in July 2013.

I was just turning 53 as I started the job. I know from my paychecks that the university pays into IMSS (health), AFORE (INFONAVIT) (housing), and AFORE (R.C.V.) (retirement) for me.

Suppose just for the sake of argument, that I worked until age 65 at this university, which would make a total of 12 years of employment. I know I would not be entitled to an AFORE (R.C.V.) pension benefit, since I wouldn't have worked the necessary 24 1/2 years, nor the university's own pension benefit, since I'm not in that system. Would I be entitled to the amount that had been paid into AFORE (R.C.V.) as a lump-sum pay-out, however?

I am assuming that retirement would be mandatory at age 65, and I doubt that I would want to work beyond that age, anyway. But do some international employees work beyond it? Full-time or part-time?

Thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge! The university itself is not always clear or helpful with such questions, although at least they always pay me on time.
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer one of your points, things are changing, but it�s not traditional in Mexico for retirement to be based on age, but rather on years of service. So your assumption of retirement at age 65 might not apply. As far as I know, there is no particular expectation of retirement associated with 65 or any other age.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
To answer one of your points, things are changing, but it�s not traditional in Mexico for retirement to be based on age, but rather on years of service. So your assumption of retirement at age 65 might not apply. As far as I know, there is no particular expectation of retirement associated with 65 or any other age.

To the OP, retirement does exist for teachers in Mexico... it's called death. Wink

DL
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will be able to get your money from the AFORE any time after 60 I believe. I'm not sure if you will get a lump sum or payments, expect taxes and fees to be deducted from it. I know a few foreigners who have gotten their money, it takes at least 6 weeks and many trips to various offices. You should make sure that you are registered in an AFORE with a bank, its not just your employer withholding they money and you do nothing, you have to choose an AFORE to manage your fund for you. When you talk to a bank representative make sure they know the procedure for a foreigner to withdraw their money at retirement, if they don't, or don't get it for you, look somewhere else.

There was also just a reform in the law that will allow you to get your INFONAVIT part back too, that's new, it used to be use it for a house or forget about it.

http://www.cnnexpansion.com/mi-dinero/2012/09/07/infonavit-acelera-devolucion-a-jubilados
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: