Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picture on resume?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Behemot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Picture on resume? Reply with quote

Just a quick question...

Is it the custom in Vietnam to put your picture on your resume? It may seem like a strange question but in some cultures this is the norm.

My passport photo is not great and I was hoping I could counter that if possible.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very much the custom, and they may put a much larger weight on it than they do your skills and experience. It is fascinating to watch them go through a professional portfolio, they skip quickly over the written information and linger over the pictures. There may be a few employers that are serious about what they are doing, but mostly they follow their own processes here, which are not based on the metrics we believe in. When recruiting their own people, it is very common for jobs to go to people who have family or government connections, paying for jobs is also common. Sexual access can be a factor. It is worthwhile to understand the mentality.

Side note: they call it a CV here, and there are differences between the documents. A CV is more common for academic applicants, but unless you are at a very high level of sophistication and expectation, I would not worry much about the differences, other than to know they will call it a CV and ask for it by that name. I would not have the word RESUME on the document, and would also reference it as a CV in your cover letter.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_in_saigon wrote:
It is very much the custom, and they may put a much larger weight on it than they do your skills and experience. It is fascinating to watch them go through a professional portfolio, they skip quickly over the written information and linger over the pictures. There may be a few employers that are serious about what they are doing, but mostly they follow their own processes here, which are not based on the metrics we believe in. When recruiting their own people, it is very common for jobs to go to people who have family or government connections, paying for jobs is also common. Sexual access can be a factor. It is worthwhile to understand the mentality.

Side note: they call it a CV here, and there are differences between the documents. A CV is more common for academic applicants, but unless you are at a very high level of sophistication and expectation, I would not worry much about the differences, other than to know they will call it a CV and ask for it by that name. I would not have the word RESUME on the document, and would also reference it as a CV in your cover letter.

GREAT ADVICE M.I.S. Cool

I always include a happy smile photo Very Happy
BIGGESTOFA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Behemot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Just keeping my fingers crossed at this point.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures on resumes seem to be the thing in many countries in Asia and Europe.

It is probably useful to know whether your contact is Vietnamese or a native English speaker. One can read your CV/resume and make sense of it. The other probably can't and might spend hours trying to divine your character as per their requirements from your pic.

Your willingness to work long hours for low pay is likely the criterion here unlike Korea where they are more concerned with your being nice and malleable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: