Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching while doing MA TESOL at Nottingham.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Teaching while doing MA TESOL at Nottingham. Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I'm currently teaching in Vietnam - and have been for some time - though this is coming to an end (work permit regulations have tightened considerably).

I managed to get into Nottingham Malaysia's MA TESOL program through my experience (lacking a BA), and have about a year left until I'm finished this (studying at a part-time pace).

Nottingham offers a part-time work visa, which might help somewhat.

Might there be something available to me? I wouldn't need to save much at all. My main hindrance would be my lack of degree (I do have a TEFL).

Thanks
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sudz

I thought you'd asked this one before. These employees stipulate a degree as it's a requirement of the work permit. However, if you've got the work permit via Nottingham University (if I remember from when I was interested in studying there, you have to apply and pay for the permit), then there's no reason why you couldn't apply to BC, ELS, IH, UK English Matters, etc.

In my opinion, you'd also get more out of studying in Malaysia if you were based there full time.

How's the course going anyway?
Sudz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hod.

You're right, and your replies were appreciated before : ) I guess I was just looking for a bit of confirmation, as - reading through the forums - I've noticed that Malaysia is often a country where 'one needs a degree'.

Studying's going well - about halfway through. How are things on your end? Any plan on going to Nottingham?
SMR ELT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Obtaining an MA without a first degree Reply with quote

I would like to encourage you in your endeavour to do the MA. 25 years ago I had a similar experience when I left the army with no first degree and was looking for work in ESL. I managed to get on a Applied Linguistics MA programme with Portsmouth University and after one year I graduated. After that all the ESL doors started to open as I put down the MA as being my primary qualfication and no one ever asked about the first degree.

So hang in there and complete the qualification and then you can apply for numerous positions with confidence. I think that once you get to Malaysia you will find a number of part time language schools are looking for language teachers and so you should be able to supplement your studies with a bit of income from these. I assume that you will be living near the Nottingham University Campus that is south west of Kuala Lumpur and in this area are loads of language schools that would be interested in taking you on.
SMR ELT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Ooops Reply with quote

Sorry, Nottingham University Campus is South East - in the Kajang area. Still there are alot of language schools in Cheras, Ampang and Kajang that you could approach.
Nemodot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ooops Reply with quote

SMR ELT wrote:
Sorry, Nottingham University Campus is South East - in the Kajang area. Still there are alot of language schools in Cheras, Ampang and Kajang that you could approach.

The website of Nottingham basically says you can't work as a student (realistically) ! You certainly won't get good work. The student visa is not a work permit. It does allow very restricted work in certain circumstances and only part time.

The rates of pay are low, most EFL is taught by locals and the only real money is tuition "cash in hand". Dodgy if reported.....

Malaysia is not TEFL friendly unless you get an moe or British council job (both rare and for those properly qualified and experienced).

Even if you get a bit of work you certainly need savings to live off.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot that I had posted this, sorry for not replying.

Thanks SMR ELT, it's always nice to hear a success story. Doing this MA has been a positive experience, and I'm looking forward to having more opportunities in the future. I'm very glad that I was able to save some money while in Vietnam, and got into this program when I did (before - and not after - losing my job).

I've decided against making a move to Malaysia - party for reasons stated by Nemodot. The TESOL scene definitely has more opportunities for me here in Vietnam - even if it is becoming more strict. I did get a reply from ELS in Kuala Lumpur. They were offering me part-time work, and a low rate. Doing the math, it would have been a struggle to say the least!
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and by the way, there are not many in-class lectures (just 3 days per module, which is done over 3 months). Location would be very flexible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: