Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

efl jobs in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miso_ramen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: efl jobs in Egypt Reply with quote

Could anyone offer me advice on efl teaching jobs in Egypt at the moment. I have BA philosophy, was a solicitor in UK, taught esl in Japan for two years to school age students, then did trinity tesol and have taught in Indonesia for a year teaching mainly adults.

What are my chances of landing a decent job in Egypt at the mo? I'd rather teach mostly adults, business english, exam prep etc.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down to the recent threads, "Teaching Job in Cairo" and "How are things in Cairo these days?" and you'll find info on TEFL jobs in Egypt.
miso_ramen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those jobs seem to be about international schools. Doubt I'd be qualified (I have BA but not in English). Looking at language schools (International House types) maybe universities if I can. What't the market like at the moment?
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miso_ramen wrote:
Those jobs seem to be about international schools.

That's because the vast majority of employment opportunities are in international schools. After the SAT exams are done and scored, there is no more incentive to learn English.

Also, the international schools and their associated work permits are the only way to stay in the country for more than a few months (30 day visa upon entry, maybe a 60 day extension, but that's it and none of it with permission to work).

miso_ramen wrote:
Doubt I'd be qualified (I have BA but not in English).

Of course you're qualified. With a Bachelor's degree and three years of classroom experience, you have met the minimum requirement for a proper work permit.

miso_ramen wrote:
Looking at language schools (International House types) maybe universities if I can.

There are language academies (night jobs, as late as 11:00 p.m.), however (again) they will not spring for a work permit to stay more than two or three months.

Your qualifications are not sufficient for university work.

miso_ramen wrote:
What't the market like at the moment?

There's lots of work. Lots.

My advice? Take a job at an international school and negotiate so that you do not have to be on campus if you are not teaching (or at the occasional meeting, training, etc.). Then teach private SAT exam prep in the evenings. Actually, you may even be able to negotiate with the school so that you can use their facilities in the evenings and share the revenues. There's BIG money in SAT prep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: