Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum age requirement?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Scone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Minimum age requirement? Reply with quote

Hey there guys,

I've been applying for a few ESL jobs in Indonesia, going through interviews and the like when one of them (WSI) emailed me back saying "we're sorry but government regulations require you to be 25 years or older to fill this position" and now I'm a little worried.

None of the other positions have brought it up and we've gone further than exchanging emails but I'm wondering if they missed the DoB somehow. I can't find anything online about an age requirement to work in Indonesia but I'm still a little nervous; I'm at the stage where I'm looking at airfares and I'd rather not be left in the lurch.

thanks in advance,
scone
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be the law, but there are people here under 25 on work visas. Like all the other requirements, rules are enforced differently in different places upon different schools. Ask the other schools you're applying to, should they offer you a job, if being under 25 will present a problem with getting a visa.
drandreasbrown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oling is on the money, there are laws here, but how and when they are enforced, and which ones, depends on lots of things. Some schools will care about one issue, others won't. Basically, and I'm sure you know this, but I'll say it just in case- be upfront about what you expect the school to do, get it assured by both a local and expat staff member, and email other teachers currently at the school and see if they had any issues.

Despite some of the awful stories you may read, I've been here on and off since 2005 and from my experience schools are really just interested in getting a decent teacher, and won't purposely mess you about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: