Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying for work visa in HK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John9900

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Applying for work visa in HK Reply with quote

I wonder if somebody here can give me some detailed information on documents needed for applying for a work visa in Hong Kong.

The school will be sending me the invitation letter and work permit. I�ve been told that on the invitation letter it states that I will be applying for my visa in HK.

What other documents should I have with me? I�ve read somewhere that in HK now they ask for a copy of the school�s license to hire foreigners. Is this needed? If so, will a scan printed copy be ok?

What about a health certificate? The school told me that I will do a health check once I arrive in mainland China. But will the consulate in HK also ask for it?

I�m hoping to avoid any surprises once I apply in HK. I will hate to have to go back to my home country to start the process again.

The reason I�m applying from HK is because at present I�m located in a third country far away from my home country.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by doogsville on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll take the risk of being pedantic here, and add a bunch of confusing
terminology.

the school will send you an invitation letter on their letterhead. they will
also send you a visa notice from the provincial foreign affairs bureau
which will state in which country you must apply for your work visa.
they will also send a working permit from the foreign experts office.
these items will be sent by express mail to your foreign location.

you will not receive an expert certificate by mail. that little brown booklet
will be made after you arrive in china, after you complete your
health exam and receive your health certificate, and before you get your
residence permit pasted into your passport.

the work permit is NOT a residence permit. it is a work permit.
it is a single sheet allowing you to apply for a work visa.
the residence permit is a residence permit.
it is pasted into your passport, valid for the length of your contract.

since op is coming from a third country, and getting the visa in hong kong
rather than in that third country, a health exam from the third country will
probably not be accepted. a health exam may be required from the
approved entry/exit quarantine office in hong kong, to be repeated once
op arrives on the mainland.

*edited to remove conflicting, confusing information*

doogsville wrote:

To be honest the best place to find out exactly what you need would be the Chinese Commissioners office, which is in Hong Kong http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/zgqz/ you may even be able to talk to them in reasonable English, since it's HK and the standard is sometimes higher there. Hope this helps.

Last edited by choudoufu on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that you can do the health check in the capital city of the province you are going to work in. I have found that most countries want the health check done in your own country and then ask you to do another. Too easy for doctors to lie, especially if it is your family doctor. Don't waste your money. Physicals are expensive in Hong Kong. But they do a good job.
Did your school actually tell you to come to Hong Kong and wait for the invitation letter?
goroh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to apply for working visa in HK in Feb.
At the moment Im in Thailand, but I assume HK will not accept my physical examination form here. Any idea how much would it cost in HK?
Anyone with feedback on physical examinations in HK?
cheers
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't need the physical exam when I got my Z visa in Hong Kong in 2009. I needed one in Mexico City, but from what I've seen on the forum, some Chinese Embassies in some countries do not require the physical before issuance of the Z visa. Regardless, you will still need another one when you arrive on the mainland.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Applying for work visa in HK Reply with quote

John9900 wrote:

The reason I�m applying from HK is because at present I�m located in a third country far away from my home country.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

For future reference, or for other newbies:

A few years ago I was in the Philippines, and I asked the FAO of the school to indicate on the paperwork that my visa should be processed in the Philippines.
My health certificate was from a Filipino hospital.
Everything went smoothly, without any problems.

Of course, this is China, and rules seem to change every day, or as the wind blows. YMMV
John9900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you choudoufu for the info and doogville for that link. Things are a bit clearer now.

My only concern at present is the health check. I understand that I have to do one once I arrive in China and that�s fine. But if HK asks for a health check prior to issuing a z visa, then I�ll have to do one in HK. That will delay me for a few days, at least, and cost me much more on accommodation and health examination fees.

I�ve just read the posts on http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/phpbbforum/z-visa-in-hongkong-health-check-necessary-t91324.html and I�m worried. For a health check in HK the clinics need an appointment (4-5 days), the results take about 7 days. All in all, I might have to stay there for 2 weeks. That�ll be very expensive.

If HK requests the health certificate, I wonder if it�s wiser to just get an L visa, go over to Shenzhen and have the health examination there. Then go back to HK and apply for the Z visa again.

What a headache.
goroh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only concern at present is the health check. I understand that I have to do one once I arrive in China and that�s fine. But if HK asks for a health check prior to issuing a z visa, then I�ll have to do one in HK.

Same with me. Confused
Ppl who got their Z's in HK, were you asked for health check docs?
I apply after Spring Festvial, would be great to know how it looks in advance...

johntpartee wrote:
I didn't need the physical exam when I got my Z visa in Hong Kong in 2009. I needed one in Mexico City, but from what I've seen on the forum, some Chinese Embassies in some countries do not require the physical before issuance of the Z visa. Regardless, you will still need another one when you arrive on the mainland.

Later physical examination in China is no problem. Schools pays for that, you have 30 days. Just the damn HK...
Thanks
natjones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I did a successful visa run in HK in October. Things cahnge constantly, but should still be up to date.

In addition, several of the other foreigners in my hostel were doing the same thing, so we compared notes.

You WILL need a medical check for the Z-visa. I got mine back the next day. It cost about $300 US, sorry but I don't remember the price in HKD.

HOWEVER, some provinces will only accept issuing Z-visas from your HOME country. However, it sounds like your recruiter already has that handled.

I went to a visa office at that seedy Chongking Mansion, who charged extra for the visa but did it in 1 day and kept me from having to go to the office myself, saving money on hotels and line-waiting.
natjones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I did a successful visa run in HK in October. Things cahnge constantly, but should still be up to date.

In addition, several of the other foreigners in my hostel were doing the same thing, so we compared notes.

You WILL need a medical check for the Z-visa. I got mine back the next day. It cost about $300 US, sorry but I don't remember the price in HKD.

HOWEVER, some provinces will only accept issuing Z-visas from your HOME country. However, it sounds like your recruiter already has that handled.

I went to a visa office at that seedy Chongking Mansion, who charged extra for the visa but did it in 1 day and kept me from having to go to the office myself, saving money on hotels and line-waiting.
goroh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I do it in some Guangzhou hospital and then apply in HK?
300USD sounds expensive, I used to pay 250-280rmb (2009-2011)in PRC.
I know I will have to get another one in my province since Guangdong is not my place, but still...
Thanks for the update!
John9900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�ve been corresponding with a HK visa agent and these are the docs he said are needed:

(1) Employment License(工作许可)
(2) Invitation letter addressed to Hongkong visa office(签证邀请函,要指定香港申请)
(3) Body check certificate(健康证明)
(4) Letter from your employed company to certify that you will be working
for them(公司邀请信)
(5) A copy of the business regristration from your employed company(公司营业执照复印).

I suppose for (1) that�s the working permit. Anyway, I made sure my school in China send me all the documents. I�m now also looking into doing the physical exam in Shenzhen. I found this place : http://www.szciq.gov.cn/ and I�ll get someone from the school to call and make sure.

If anyone has any more info, please share.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's your status in thailand? are you on a tourist visa or
a non-resident work/study visa? you may have the option
of getting your z-visa in bangkok or chiang mai.
goroh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on a toursit visa so probably cant apply for Z in BKK.
Another thing is my papers are already issued for HK.
Now Im trying to find our if I need full physical examination for consulate in HK, or simple blood test with x-ray would do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: