Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on international schools
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shandaheath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Advice on international schools Reply with quote

I am an American teacher who decided to teach internationally this year. I have worked in elementary schools in the States for the last 12 years. Now, I am living in Korea and working as an English teacher in a public school. I am not satisfied with this career choice. I don�t feel like I have a real connection with my students like I was able to have in the States due to the language barrier. Also, I really miss teaching math, science, social studies, reading, and writing. Therefore, I am contemplating on moving back to the States or working in an international school. However, I am not completely satisfied with living in Korea. The best thing about living in Korea is the foreigner support that is here due to the large number of expates. Therefore, I am looking for advice. Can I have input on teaching at an international school in a country other than Korea. Also, the next country I would like to move to must a large community of foreigners. Hopefully, one exists.

Thanks
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on international schools Reply with quote

shandaheath wrote:
, I am looking for advice. Can I have input on teaching at an international school in a country other than Korea.

The best advice I can give is to quit hanging out on EFL/ESL boards and focus on places where certified teachers go.

http://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/ (pick a region on the planet)
http://www.searchassociates.com/ (fee involved)
http://www.ibo.org (look for individual schools in the countries of your choice and NOT apply directly to IBO).
etc.

In Asia your best bet for what you seek in terms of expats would probably be Thailand or get a job in a government school in Taiwan or Hong Kong. I'm not sure if you will find the "professional satisfaction" you seem to be seeking but you are also aware that your job in Korea was as an assistant to the teacher and not as a proper teacher.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto tttompatz's advice. There's teachaway.com, which deals mostly with international schools in the Mid East. Also, as a US citizen, you might find the DoDEA's teaching opportunities of interest.
DebMer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be worth your while to become a member at https://www.internationalschoolsreview.com/ where you can read teacher reviews of international schools and get specific information on salary, expat community, housing, administrative support, etc.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also important to be aware that openings in the more desirable locations are limited.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear nomad soul,

"Also, as a US citizen, you might find the DoDEA's teaching opportunities of interest."

But be aware that there's a two-tear probation period and that you'll almost certainly be teaching IN the States for at least those two years (and probably more - overseas postings go by seniority and most are desirable.)

Regards,
John
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Also important to be aware that openings in the more desirable locations are limited.
How do you define desirable?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people tend to define desirable location as someplace it is pleasurable to live:-)
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And preferably without a lot of tears -
Quote:
a two-tear probation period
- though I often think high schools and at least some crying go together.

As posted above, many international schools use job fairs and specific recruiters. Jobs advertised through TES will generally require an interview in person at some point (usually in London).
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Where are these desirable locations, where openings are limited?
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear thatsforsure,

Well, with the DoD, if you have, say, Italy versus Guam, which do you think most people would consider to be more desirable?

Of course, it's all subjective; there might be some who'd say, "Why Guam, of course - it's always been my dream to go there."

But I suspect many/most would opt for Italy.

Regards,
John
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatsforsure wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

Any place with nice weather, beaches, mountains, a clean urban environment with all the amenities that an expat could hope to want to have coupled with a professional environment and a top remuneration package that includes a wide range of benefits, long, paid vacations and extra perks.

Oops... daydreaming again.

spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

ttompatz is correct.

In 'my' region, there are only very limited openings in Spain, Italy, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg, to be specific.

How would I know that? Because the university where I work has partner institutions in all of these countries, and we have quite a lot of contacts. Int'l schools, like unis, tend to send out job offers to all partner lists first before posting jobs publically.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opportunities at international schools tend to be 'limited' because they are among the best jobs in the teaching profession. They tend to pay higher than state schools, because the schools are usually privately and generously funded by the well-heeled families that send their kids to these schools. And since the kids tend to be from relatively wealthy families, they tend to be less troublesome to teach.

Ergo, the teachers at international schools, aware that they have reached the likely zenith of their career, generally don't leave their jobs until retirement. So, opportunities are limited.

To the OP, as you're already in Asia, take a look at Hong Kong and Singapore. Lots of international schools and they're advertising now for the academic year starting in September.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to Perilla's points, I'll emphasize that because these are great jobs in great places to live, most teachers in them tend to stay long-term; turn over is quite low. These are often teachers with local families and lives; not teachers in it for a couple of years abroad and then hightailing it back 'home.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: