Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language Link Hanoi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnniMiller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Language Link Hanoi? Reply with quote

Hi there. I've been offered a job with Language Link in Hanoi and wondered if anyone could give me any info about them?

I'm Skyping with the recruitment coordinator tomorrow so that I can quiz them about the job...Any advice on what questions to ask? I have got a few already but don't want to miss anything important. Thanks! Smile
Ishi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to know about this school.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask to be given the contact info of any current teachers. Any school with nothing to hide will give this freely.

Some other good things to ask about are, are you required to do any work off-pay like grading, lesson planning, etc. If so how much is expected of you?

Are they providing housing? If not, how much money should you bring with you to cover start-up costs (first 3-6 months of rent, etc).

How easy is transportation around the city from your location? Are there bus stops, will some one teach you to drive a bike or help you buy one?

Will you be working legally for the school? Will they pay for your work permit? How much of the leg-work will they make you do to get it?

Of course, nail down exact hours and pay and all that stuff. Just be aware that anything said out loud but not written down in your contract is meaningless.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
You could ask to be given the contact info of any current teachers. Any school with nothing to hide will give this freely.

IMO, Language Link teachers are open and give info readily.

I worked for LL Hanoi for a year a couple years ago.

Quote:
Some other good things to ask about are, are you required to do any work off-pay like grading, lesson planning, etc. If so how much is expected of you?

Whether full or part time, you will be expected to lesson plan for your classes. Will you be paid? No.

LL is a language school and not a public school. I assume full-time contracts are (still) a guaranteed salary of 17 hours per month which = 68 hours per month. Those who want more hours can certainly ask for more hours if they are available.

Quote:
Are they providing housing?

No. No school does in Hanoi, except for a university or two.

Quote:
If not, how much money should you bring with you to cover start-up costs (first 3-6 months of rent, etc).

Depends what time of year. Hanoi slows down a lot for 3-4-5 months in the month preceding Tet and does not start betting busy until May because of post-Tet and the university entrance exams.

IMO, bring $2,000 usd as a cushion.

Kiddie classes are the exception to the rule. They are more steady.

Quote:
How easy is transportation around the city from your location? Are there bus stops, will some one teach you to drive a bike or help you buy one?

Depends on what branch you work at.

Quote:
Will you be working legally for the school?

Yes, LL is very big on this, and the authorities check them regularly. LL is all above board.

Quote:
Will they pay for your work permit?

Yes, if you're full-time. They keep the WP and you cannot take it when you complete a contract or quit.

Quote:
How much of the leg-work will they make you do to get it?

The basics. For the medical, you obviously have to go to the Docs office yourself.

Quote:
Of course, nail down exact hours and pay and all that stuff. Just be aware that anything said out loud but not written down in your contract is meaningless.

They were fairly straight up with me, but yes, always get things in writing.

Note* - I do not work at LL anymore and don't know hardly anyone working there anymore.

All I know now is that you are required to teach Young Leaners (e.g. Super Tots and "family & friends" if you sign a full time contract).

The market in Hanoi has changed. Less General English.
luked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnniMiller - what did you find out from your skype? Have you started now?
I have also been offered a FT position with LL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: