Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing visa paperwork from China? Is it possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Doing visa paperwork from China? Is it possible? Reply with quote

I'm currently an American teaching in China and I am looking to move on from China. Japan is nearby and is probably a more sensible move than jumping to another continent for a job.

I know I'll need paperwork to obtain a visa. However, I would like to know if it is possible to do the paperwork without traveling back to America. If it can be done, how much longer would it take to do the paperwork from China?

My contract ends in July. Would it be best to start looking for a job now or should I wait a bit longer? Thanks.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Doing visa paperwork from China? Is it possible? Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
I'm currently an American teaching in China and I am looking to move on from China. Japan is nearby and is probably a more sensible move than jumping to another continent for a job.

I know I'll need paperwork to obtain a visa. However, I would like to know if it is possible to do the paperwork without traveling back to America. If it can be done, how much longer would it take to do the paperwork from China?

My contract ends in July. Would it be best to start looking for a job now or should I wait a bit longer? Thanks.

You need a job before you can apply for a work visa.

I think you can apply from pretty much anywhere. You can even enter Japan on a tourist visa, and then convert to a work visa while you're in Japan. (But if you're entering Japan looking for work, don't tell the immigration staff that.)
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good and important heads up from Pitarou. One more here: the paperwork will take 2-8 weeks to get a visa. Figure 1-3 months to land a job and get the visa, and another 4-6 weeks before you are paid. Budget for that.

In your contract is up in July, that means you want to be here in July/August for work, right? Fairly slow time of year. Public schools (for ALTs, that is) will be closing for summer vacation, and many JET ALTs will be coming in, so that route is going to be very tight, IMO. That leaves whatever you're qualified for, and I will assume only conversation schools (eikaiwa). Many hire year round, but competition is high. I'd say start looking a couple of months early and let them know when you will be here, but don't cold call.

There's another thread on this forum about a poor individual who got suckered into coming without a work visa, then got shafted and is likely going to be sent home with a 1-year ban on coming here because he worked without a visa (thinking one was in process). Beware of scams like that.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant paperwork like the criminal record check and apostilled/notarized paperwork among other things.

But yeah, I see what you guys are talking about. It does seem to be an awfully tight window. I was hoping to get into JET, but it looks like it's too late for that Sad

Thanks for the advice guys.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
I meant paperwork like the criminal record check and apostilled/notarized paperwork among other things.

But yeah, I see what you guys are talking about. It does seem to be an awfully tight window. I was hoping to get into JET, but it looks like it's too late for that Sad

You don't need a criminal record check.

If you mean, "Can I submit certain documents in support of my work visa before I have a job offer." ... well ... I've never heard of that, and I doubt such a system exists because I don't think there's much call for it.

If you're concerned about delays in getting notarized / apostilled copies of documents from China, you should probably ask someone in China about that!
sabina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:

Getting a work visa for Japan isn't like getting one for Korea or China. You don't need any notarized documents. You can do everything from China.
Once you find a school that wants to employ you, you will need to send them a photograph, passport info page, and degree copy. All these can be sent electronically, too, so it is very easy to apply from abroad. Just visit your consulate/embassy in China to get the Certificate Of Eligibility documents (your employer will send these to you; it will take them a bit of time to get these documents, perhaps 2 or 3 weeks) processed (usually takes 1 to 2 days) and pick up your visa. PM me if you have any questions! I applied for my visa abroad Smile good luck!
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisX wrote:
But yeah, I see what you guys are talking about. It does seem to be an awfully tight window. I was hoping to get into JET, but it looks like it's too late for that.
You have to interview in your home country anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: