Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dawn Rising

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Dawn Rising Reply with quote

Perhaps in retaliation to the film Midnight Express, the Turks could make their own film about an innocent tourist who suffers at the hands of the Greek police ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20958353
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no sympathy for that excuse of a country! They are so screwed up like passengers on a lifeboat off a sinking ship, now they are starting to burn the boat to keep warm! How on earth did they get in the E.U?
SOMEONE REALLY MESSED UP THERE BİG TİME!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this should be in Current Events, and the mods tend to lock misplaced threads, I was going to just let this die. But since we've apparently started a discussion, I guess I'll get in my two cents. (Mods, if you could move this to Current Events instead of locking it, we'd be very grateful, since it is an interesting topic.)

sixthchild wrote:
I really have no sympathy for that excuse of a country! They are so screwed up like passengers on a lifeboat off a sinking ship, now they are starting to burn the boat to keep warm! How on earth did they get in the E.U?
SOMEONE REALLY MESSED UP THERE BİG TİME!

It's interesting how many foreigners in Turkey seem to develop an anti-Greek bias. I fear I might have developed one too (though I try to fight it) after visiting Greece, and finding that it was at an equal or lower level of development than Turkey, yet with a lower standard of service, and about 2.5 times the cost.

However in fairness to the Greeks (and the Cypriots, Bulgarians, and Romanians, to whom the EU has been equally indulgent, though in different ways) Greece was let into a club of developed countries when it wasn't ready, and spoiled by that club's leadership. It's like a parent who doesn't give their children bedtimes, doesn't make them do homework, and lets them eat whatever they want, and then complains when the child is a 33-year old high school dropout who's unemployed and still living in their mother's house. I imagine if Turkey had been let in at the same level of development as Greece (I never thought I'd say this, but: thank God for xenophobia and the Cyprus dispute) it might now be just as dysfunctional as its Orthodox neighbors.

Also, while I found Greeks to be on average far less friendly to foreigners to Turks, I will say that one of the policemen there was very helpful when I needed to change money on a weekend, going above and beyond until he found someone who would trade dollars for euros at a good exchange rate. (Of course, this debacle was because Greece somehow has nothing akin to a d�viz, banks still keep bankers' hours, and nobody seemed to take credit cards.)

As for the brutality of the Golden Dawn types, in fairness to Greece I could easily see the MHP or at least certain figures associated with it going that way if Turkey were chronically exposed to high levels of non-Muslim immigration. Strains of xenophobia are latent in Turkish political/social life, they just haven't really been activated by exposure to poor foreigners. As it is, we still see the assassination of figures like Hrant Dink, and strong anti-Arab sentiment even among the professional classes near the Syrian border.

Regards,
~Q
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you I would like to see this thread given the air it needs and allow to develop. I recognize I may have made a sweeping statement but after everything that has gone before they are still seen as the wronged party over the Cyprus issue.
That has never sat well with me, esp after visiting the place. I have a lot more to say on this however, no doubt others are waiting in the wings to add their own thoughts. I will hold fire and see how this develops!
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got nothing against the Greeks ...

In fact ... Given the choice, I'd rather live in Greece than Turkey ..

It's closer to Italy ...
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like this is where its gonna stay, I have to say I prefer Italy to Greece any day even though it is further away and generally a lot more expensive. Greeks seem to be selling what they can for as much as they can, still waiting for those cut-price holidays in Santorini to surface and maybe even good value property prices for retirement!
Heh, just had a thought, bet the lazy sods are still having their afternoon nap, the country is on its knees and they just go back to bed, typical, and they expect help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: