Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Execution
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Execution Reply with quote

The dark side of KSA that we try to forget about -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20959228
Deeman15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The dark side'? She killed a baby, justice was done. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Capital punishment is practiced in America as well and I have no problem with it.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do it in America ? Not all of us would accept that as the litmus test of what is acceptable.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one knows if she killed the baby because the story that came out says the mother was arguing with the girl on bottle feeding the baby. What you must remember in Saudi Arabia is Sri Lankans, and other Central/East Asian people are treated worse than dogs.

My view on this is the Saudi mother probably did something accidental and the baby died, so why not blame the maid/nanny because her life means nothing to the Saudis. Plus this young woman was a child when it happened.

I am Muslim and the Shariah would not prescribe execution for this because no real investigation occurred other than a 'witch hunt' against an immigrant. But Saudi Arabia should be executing members of the Royal Family for their many violations of the Shariah. If you ever lived in Saudi Arabia you will learn a Saudi can do nothing wrong even if a police officer watch them do it in public.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
They do it in America ? Not all of us would accept that as the litmus test of what is acceptable.

For once scot, I'm in complete agreement with you.

Thank you rdobbs for the clarification. I'd not be the least bit surprised if all of that is true, or even worse; I've long since given up looking for signs of decency, compassion, or even humanity among the Saudi regime.

~Q
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear rdobbs98,

"If you ever lived in Saudi Arabia you will learn a Saudi can do nothing wrong even if a police officer watch them do it in public."

Depends on how much wasta the Saudi has (and some of them have little or none,) what "wrong" the Saudi is doing, and whom he/she is doing it to.

Which brings up another point - there are Saudi women, too.

Regards,
John
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sri Lankan maid was only 17 years old at the time of the alleged killing. She had denied killing the baby, but the initial "confession" was made under duress and without translation assistance. She had no access to lawyers.

This is a breach of international child rights (The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child) which Saudi Arabia has ratified.

So much for the Saudi judicial system.
fledex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
The Sri Lankan maid was only 17 years old, the initial "confession" was made under duress and without translation assistance. She had no access to lawyers.

So much for the Saudi judicial system.

Now it's sounding even more like the US, especially if you are flying while Muslim. Or, maybe if you are living in Pakistan under the drone strikes it would seem even more familiar.
trapezius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Sri Lankan opposition MP who campaigns for Sri Lankan workers abroad, Ranjan Ramanayake, described the Saudi government as "dictators" who would never execute Europeans or Americans, only Asians and Africans.

How true!

Quote:
'The dark side'? She killed a baby, justice was done. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

So you have complete trust in the Saudi [in]justice system?

If so, how would you explain how so many Saudis have gone unpunished every time a tortured maid has made the rounds of international media?

Here is just one of dozens of cases every year:
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/08/30/sri.lanka.maid.assault/index.html

And more:
http://www.arabnews.com/node/370462
http://www.arabnews.com/node/360851
http://www.arabnews.com/node/399362
http://www.arabnews.com/node/364057
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you posted this scot. I was up all night watching documentaries on youtube about Saudi "justice." It was horrifying. Truly frightening and heart breaking.

If you type in "Jessica: Saudi Slave" there is a 5 part documentary by a British group which leads to many more news reports (on the right hand side of the screen) about Indonesian and Filipino (among others) maids. There was an elderly woman whose owner (she was kept as a slave and never paid) accused her of theft after she asked to be paid and her hands were hacked off.

I have read about this many times but to see the women in person is more shocking, there's no emotional distance.
I'd like to add that much of the physical abuse is perpetrated by the women.
Chinaski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:

I'd like to add that much of the physical abuse is perpetrated by the women.

It often seems to be a female reaction to the husbands real/percieved/totally imagined...horning on the maids.

I've seen/read some horrific things on the subject in Thailand.

Same reason as above...

Some accusations of "maid abuse" are just scams though, but I'm sure many are not.

Chinaski
mr fred

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be right or they may be wrong but you chose to live there and the airport is always available.
fledex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:
They may be right or they may be wrong but you chose to live there and the airport is always available.

This is not true. First, not all have chosen to live there. There could be a host of reasons why these slave workers are there: it happens that some are being sent to KSA, even though they were promised to be sent to another country; some are in far worse financial or filial desperation than western English teachers can imagine; or, some have been arrested for loitering in their home country because a recruiter or contractor needs more workers and it is a choice between jail or going to Saudi. I don't have articles on this, this is my experience from talking to both Saudis who use these workers and some workers themselves.

Second, the airport is not available to them. Passports are held, exit visas are denied, sometimes even a chance to leave the walls of the housing compound is denied. People who are treated as slaves, as many are, don't have access to airports.

This is not only true in Saudi. I've witnessed it in other countries as well, some in the Gulf, some in Asia.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear fledex,

I could be wrong, but I got the impression that the "you" was not a "general you" but was directed towards a specific poster.

I think mr fred would likely have written this:

" . . . but they chose to live there . . ."

if your interpretation had been his intention.

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Mr Fred's only post in the Middle East section and he may be unaware of the situation. Perhaps he was just referring to one poster... or just TEFL teachers in general. He may be unaware of the fact that even many teachers are forced to stay because their employer will not provide them with an exit visa and hold their passports.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: