Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADVETI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gives a look into the life of teaching K-12 public schools in the average Gulf systems, doesn't it. Shocked Not enough money in the world.

But, I must admit that I quickly figured out how to deal with it and as long as you have a management that will back you, they are mostly not bad kids... just spoiled and immature. One needs to set the tone quickly... make rules and stick to them until such time as they have earned a change. It is the age that the local society/family starts to expect better behavior from them too. I was quite struck by the improvement in their foundation year in their maturity level. Often quite dramatic... (it reflects the cultural traditions in child raising if you read a bit on the topic - very different from our system) Cheating will always be an issue and getting them to remember to bring normal classroom stuff like... the text or a pen/pencil... will be frustrating.

I also taught business content courses at a couple colleges and oddly the students who were the ones that you regularly wanted to strangle in your foundations English course turned into your top... best behaved... student in the later content courses. Interesting dynamic actually...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Cheating will always be an issue and getting them to remember to bring normal classroom stuff like... the text or a pen/pencil... will be frustrating.

I also taught business content courses at a couple colleges and oddly the students who were the ones that you regularly wanted to strangle in your foundations English course turned into your top... best behaved... student in the later content courses. Interesting dynamic actually...

VS

So true. It also depends on their degree program or track. I teach in Saudi Arabia but am fortunate to have female students in a science track---most plan to go on to med school. As such, they're focused and serious about their studies. For example, when they're taking a quiz, their eyes don't stray away from their own paper. Overall, teaching them is quite enjoyable and not tedious, although sometimes they get a bit energetic. Smile
desertdawg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else teaching there now? Care to share? iggyb is the only positive voice I've heard.
medusa2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for adveti at the VEDC
vocational educational & development centre in al shahama

what a place
only a handful of native speakers the rest are arabs
everyone got fired last year including the native speakers because they wanted to hire fresh new native speakers from the UK and USA- they offer 22k but no one seem interested and they asked the arabs to come back and continue who are still there now working 26 teaching contact hours with no contract

Its a Mr Hammadi running the HR show there at ADVETI - they seem to not know there left arm from their right.

The english head teacher is a jordanian guy named Emad who is supposed to teach but is the only head teacher in the centre that doesn't teach any classes so spends the whole time in his office working on his PhD.

Its ghastly corrupt and the treatment of staff there is/was just unacceptable
Captain Coddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pal of mine in the Gulf once worked there, quite briefly - last year, I think.

Yep, his report chimes exactly with the message above.

In short, AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: