Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arrive in August and live cheap while learning Thai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaz47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Arrive in August and live cheap while learning Thai Reply with quote

This post is not about Korea totally but it does relate as I am considering leaving Korea in June for Thailand. Please don't Mod me.

Anyway, my ultimate goal for these past 7+ years of EFL in Asia (SK) has been to achieve permanent residency, meet a nice girl and start a family. This seems really elusive in SK these days as I will turn 38 this summer. And, after a few longterm girlfriends I am now single and undateable due to my age and general foreign-ness. While I have a fondness for this place, the powers that be seem to have no fondness for someone like me. Despite my years of working here, the requirements for permanent residency get further and further beyond my reach.

So, I am curious about other countries and especially Thailand. What are the prospects for someone like me in Thailand. Would it be possible to meet a nice, normal Thai girl and settle down? Would I eventually be able to get permanent residency in Thailand without being an under 30 PhD holder or a millionaire investor?

Finally, (and finally getting to the title of the post) would it be a good idea to arrive and just hang out for 3 months or so live cheaply and acclimate myself to Thai language and culture prior to the big hiring season?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Arrive in August and live cheap while learning Thai Reply with quote

chaz47 wrote:
This post is not about Korea totally but it does relate as I am considering leaving Korea in June for Thailand. Please don't Mod me.

Anyway, my ultimate goal for these past 7+ years of EFL in Asia (SK) has been to achieve permanent residency, meet a nice girl and start a family. This seems really elusive in SK these days as I will turn 38 this summer. And, after a few longterm girlfriends I am now single and undateable due to my age and general foreign-ness. While I have a fondness for this place, the powers that be seem to have no fondness for someone like me. Despite my years of working here, the requirements for permanent residency get further and further beyond my reach.

So, I am curious about other countries and especially Thailand. What are the prospects for someone like me in Thailand. Would it be possible to meet a nice, normal Thai girl and settle down? Would I eventually be able to get permanent residency in Thailand without being an under 30 PhD holder or a millionaire investor?

Finally, (and finally getting to the title of the post) would it be a good idea to arrive and just hang out for 3 months or so live cheaply and acclimate myself to Thai language and culture prior to the big hiring season?

1, 2, 3...

In my (sometimes less than) humble opinion....

1) Can you find a nice lady to form a long term, stable relationship with = maybe.
Can you find a wife = yes but they MAY come with their own set of "sick buffalo syndrome" issues.

2) Can you get permanent residence = maybe but it is a long road, will require money and a PhD won't hurt.

You can get long term residence with a wife (non-immigrant "O" visa) but that comes with its own issues not the least of which are the inability to own real property and the requirement to be employed or have money in the bank.

3) No. It is just a way to burn through your money and you won't learn much Thai in 90 days as a tourist. Get a double entry tourist visa (effectively can give you up to 6 months to find work and sort out a non-b visa).

Show up and start looking for work. You'll effectively be 11 months too early for a uni position but there is enough work in language academies to keep you busy for 11 months.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: