Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bilkent University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Bilkent University Reply with quote

Does anyone have any views on Bilkent? Just seen an ad for them and it seems like an interesting option.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone interview I had with them a few years ago was absurd. They basically asked me to deliver a lecture over the phone. This was before the Islamists gained power, and the university was still promoting secularism, and my assigned topic was something like the importance of the separation of church and state. I think this was a test to see whether you could stimulate students to write essays. They did their best to make me feel awkward about it, and I was.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! That does sound odd...!

Thanks.
sedaa91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the uni? prep school? private schools? which one Smile
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advert I saw was for the university.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorks Lad wrote:
The advert I saw was for the university.

I'm still trying to find out information myself.

I read this: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php?topic=39669.0, and an old post about Bilkent. What I could gather is that the pay is decent, though not the highest. The benefits are good. The university is good. You have to try to please management, be positive, say positive things, they're interested in helping their students improve their writing significantly, Ankara is a nice city, and Bilkent has a nice campus. I couldn't clearly ascertain if management management is decent or not.
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I applied for a job at Bilkent, and was turned down (perhaps because I was over qualified). I was also asked to conduct a grammar lesson over the phone. My topic was the first conditional. The inteviewer told me I would have 30 minutes to prepare the lesson, and they would call back. I told them I did't need the time as I had taught the lesson countless times before. That was the end of the interview.
Years later, I had the opportunity to work in Ankara for 8 months. I enjoyed my time immensely as I was able to live in the nicest part of town (Gaziosmanpasa) in a beautiful furnished flat. There were plenty of small cafes and restaurants nearby to occupy my spare time at. I would say that if you are looking for a party, Ankara should not be number one on your list.
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I applied for a job at Bilkent, and was turned down (perhaps because I was over qualified). I was also asked to conduct a grammar lesson over the phone. My topic was the first conditional. The inteviewer told me I would have 30 minutes to prepare the lesson, and they would call back. I told them I didn't need the time as I had taught the lesson countless times before. That was the end of the interview.
Years later, I had the opportunity to work in Ankara for 8 months. I enjoyed my time immensely as I was able to live in the nicest part of town (Gaziosmanpasa) in a beautiful furnished flat. There were plenty of small cafes and restaurants nearby to spend my spare time at. I would say that if you are looking for a party, Ankara should not be number one on your list.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a good institution from what I could gather.
bilalbill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Bilkent Reply with quote

I would carefully consider your options here. Ankara is an ok city, there are reasonable travel options, the basic package (accommodation, visa, flight etc) is good, but there are considerable "professional challenges". Especially in the preparatory school.

If you get an interview, you might want to ask what are the difficulties that new and experienced teachers report are the most challenging and what percentage of staff leave their contract early.

It might be just the job for you, so long as you know what type of environment you will be working in.

All the best,
Bill
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Bill. What are these challenging difficulties?
bilalbill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sirens,

I think that a search through these forums would be sufficient. Some of the writers are perhaps a little too emotive in their writing style, but when you put a number of the posts together they paint a fairly clear picture of the type of issues in the workplace.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up all you Turkey job seekers. It appears that Bilkent University's new flexi-contract criteria for 2013 didn't go over too well with the existing staff, both foreign and Turkish. Coupled with the opening of the new Ipek campus nearby, which has been siphoning off Bilkent's best teachers, there are now many job openings available there this recruiting season. As always just be sure to do your research and get a copy of their loop-hole-filled contract in English. Also, if you agree to anything extra or they offer any incentives make sure you get it in writing.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrocious turnover. Bad press on the net. Teachers leaving for the new campus to escape the old campus. Red flags, all. Bilkent U has had red flags up since forever. I would avoid the place.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey wouldn't be Turkey without many unreliable and outrageous conspiracy theories. Mine, (insert disclosure, IMHO memo here), is that the conservative A.K. Party is intentionally pressuring affiliated universities to make life difficult for foreigners so that annual turnover is in fact the norm so no one gets too comfortable. After all, there are scores of English speaking Turkish teachers teach in the many fine Turkish institutions who have the special ability to teach English to their students in Turkish to fill these positions. And as we all know, most foreigners are way too demanding with the audacity to stand up for their rights when wronged and even wanting their contracts fulfilled as written without any room for personal interpretation, even the female ones! In addition they tend to be poor role models with their open minds and free thinking and poison the Turkish youths mind with impure thoughts.

Now before your get your feathers ruffled and start squawking this is pure conspiracy and no actual factual information was used. For entertainment purposes only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: