Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just been offered a job in London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulJam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Just been offered a job in London Reply with quote

10 pounds per hour (I've got four years experience and a CELTA).

Takin the mickey me thinks? From other interviews, the standard seems to be between 14-17 per hour, so they really are taking an advantage here...and God knows how much they're charging students.

I hesitated when she told me the wage over the phone and she said 'well I'll have to tell the boss you hesitated, because we dont want you leaving once you find a better offer'.

:-/ Really not sure what to do. I desperately need a job but don't want to be tied down to a contract that is blatantly taking advantage of me.

What does everyone (or anyone??) else think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hesitated when she told me the wage over the phone and she said 'well I'll have to tell the boss you hesitated, because we dont want you leaving once you find a better offer'

Seems they are familiar with this scenario!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tel her you are going with your offer from McDonald's, as you need the money.

10 quid an hour and telling tales to the boss? Sincerely hope you can walk away from a scenario like that.

Best of luck.
PaulJam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'd love to deliver the McDonalds line, there are no other offers on the table and it's better than being on the dole.

If they get back in touch I'm gonna have a good read of the contract and see if there's anything there that can hold me accountable, should I up and leave for a better gig.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, okay then. Sorry to hear that. But in any case, regardless of a contract, your statutory rights should be more than enough to protect you, surely?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you sign a contract anyways? I assume you're a British citizen, and I always assumed time-delimited contracts were for getting visas, since teaching isn't generally the sort of thing one does on contract in one's own country. (Contracts are for finishing a specific task, like remodeling a kitchen.) As an American, I'd be wary of signing a contract in the United States; teaching generally isn't contract work, and it does seem like they're trying to lock you in tight?

Also, in your situation (poverty-level wages on offer in the one place I assume you're currently willing to work), I'd upgrade qualifications, and if I didn't have the money and couldn't get a loan to do that, I'd be inclined to look for a job in a convenience store or something (not McDonalds, but 7-11 maybe).

My mother always said you can do what you want, work where you want, or make decent money: pick any two.

Regards,
~Q
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would you sign a contract anyways? I assume you're a British citizen, and I always assumed time-delimited contracts were for getting visas, since teaching isn't generally the sort of thing one does on contract in one's own country. (Contracts are for finishing a specific task, like remodeling a kitchen.) As an American, I'd be wary of signing a contract in the United States; teaching generally isn't contract work, and it does seem like they're trying to lock you in tight

I've never taught in the US, but I've signed a contract in every country I have ever taught for every job I've ever had, including in Canada....I know teachers who have fixed-term contracts, and some whose contracts are permanent, but everyone's got one....
Captain Coddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, ten quid an hour is a truly appalling rate. I was getting the same in London almost 20 years ago! This sort of exploitation makes me really angry!!!

As for the comment about the hesitation, this is classic management bullying. And who wouldn't leave when (not if!) they get a better offer?!

Which school was this? They should be named and shamed on this blog:

http://tefltradesman.blogspot.com

PM me the details and I'll make sure it gets published.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you pay for housing out of that ? Either get out of London or look for a real job. I hear drivers on the Tube are quite well-paid.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hesitated when she told me the wage over the phone and she said 'well I'll have to tell the boss you hesitated, because we dont want you leaving once you find a better offer'.

I'd have been tempted to tell her to stick it there and then. "We don't want you leaving..." indeed.

Unless you've got pretty much full-time hours on contract, or are in a full-time paid role, I'd say that EFL wages in the UK are as Scot says - not enough to pay your rent. (Even then, the sort of wages I've seen for full-time work in EFL teaching or related, such as admin / marketing / DOS even would not be enough to live comfortably unless you already owned your own place or were hitched to someone with a better-paying job.)

I don't know how desperate you are to get a job, but one way would be to take a stop-gap job while you look for a better-paying ELT gig elsewhere - i.e outside the UK. You don't need to tell anyone that's your plan, though!
mambawamba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to live on that wage in London or anywhere in the South East for that matter. Yes they are taking the Mickey and they sound ultra snide!

With a CELTA and 4 years experience you can do a hell of a lot better in the UK.

Mamba
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJam,

Have you thought of training to be an IELTS examiner (if you have a degree, CELTA and experience) as there is a severe shortage in London?
There would be work 6 days a week, and it pays a lot more than 10 pounds an hour.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to pay for that training in London?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to shell out for IELTS Training. Pay is not that great. Therew is no guarantee of how much work you will get. You have to maintian your certification and if that is withdrawn at the whim of some "Governement inspector", you cannnot examine until you have re-certified.

You get the same rate in London as in the Provinces !!!

says
Scot47, a disillusioned ex-IELTS Examiner !
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start selling "The Big Issue" Your income will be higher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: