Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colombia: seeking partnership, buying or startup school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tudman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Colombia: seeking partnership, buying or startup school Reply with quote

Folks, I am a licensed elementary school teacher and would like to set up shop in Colombia.

If any of you have done it, advice is much appreciated. Am looking to buy a school, shares/partnership or start from scratch an ESL school. This will lead me to grow the business into a proper school in the future to build a network of contacts.

I want the focus to be on school aged children as this is my specialty. Even homeschool a few to get my name out and make some money.

Any tips or links, appreciated.

Thanks
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you married to a Colombian? Do you have 100K USD + in savings? Do you have significant and successful business experience? Do you speak Spanish? Would you be willing to commit to a several years of living in Colombia? Do you have strong links with powerful people in Colombia?

The more yeses you can give to the above, the better your chances.

Starting a K-12 'school' as a business is quite popular in Colombia and I don't think it's a bad idea from a biz perspective. I think it's something a Colombia newbie could pull off, but you'd be better off thinking about it after a year or so of living in the country and getting your feet wet first.
tudman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to start an ESL school/ operation first as the start up costs are not as much and then build my reputation and contacts.

I was in colombia before and like it enough to live there. I am on ident that I could hack it there. I hacked it in the Middle East, so it should be a cake walk.

From business English to school aged children in primary, I'm gonna try it next summer. See the market and take the risk. No risk no reward as the saying goes.
tudman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to start an ESL school/ operation first as the start up costs are not as much and then build my reputation and contacts.

I was in colombia before and like it enough to live there. I am on ident that I could hack it there. I hacked it in the Middle East, so it should be a cake walk.

From business English to school aged children in primary, I'm gonna try it next summer. See the market and take the risk. No risk no reward as the saying goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: