Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick question regarding CRB check

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Quick question regarding CRB check Reply with quote

I am hoping to take the apollo CELTA in Hanoi in march.

When i was 14 i committed a shoplifting offence which shows up on any enhanced CRB check. Embarassed

Now I have read some where that anyone without a completely clean slate will get hung out to dry out in Vietnam.

My question: is this true? should i look elsewhere?

Obviously things can change, but at the moment I do not plan on making a career out TEFL. I want to experience the excellent training and try my hand at teaching english for 6 months - 1 year.

Thanks for the advice and help
vabeckele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: CRB Reply with quote

I do not think you need to forward a criminal background check to take a CELTA course.

Apollo may require an enhanced background check as you will be teaching children if you work there. However, a shoplifting offense at 14 is hardly worth worrying about. A normal person would still hire you.

I know people out here that wear their convictions as a red badge of courage, and still get more work than qualified and 'clean' teachers out here.

In your position I would ask what kind of disclosure is required from each firm. If a full disclosure is not required, you will be able to satisfy the necessary requirements asked from you without any legal complications.

I for one know if I told any of my idiotic spells during my teenage years during an interview...Hell, if I told anyone what I did last week.

Take it easy and come on over without bearing a heavy load.
jackm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CRB Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response.

vabeckele wrote:
I do not think you need to forward a criminal background check to take a CELTA course.

Sorry, i meant for employment/work-permit reasons after taking the course.

vabeckele wrote:

In your position I would ask what kind of disclosure is required from each firm. If a full disclosure is not required, you will be able to satisfy the necessary requirements asked from you without any legal complications.

i only have an enhanced CRB in my possession, are you suggesting i should obtain a CRB check which only includes major crimes before i come out? or is that something i would simply have to declare or not declare on their application form?
vabeckele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: cover yourself Reply with quote

I know these things are expensive, so...if the money is available get both - That way you are covered in any eventuality.

With education we have to be a little more careful. The sealed documents of mishaps of earlier years that are not violent or sexual in nature are unfortunate blemishes that can, in my opinion, be covered over with a light touch. From a legal stand point it cannot be changed, but where we stand morally is the question that is harder to answer.

I wish you the best in what you decide to do - I would hire you if you turned out to be a good enough teacher and I am in Vietnam also. There must be others like me out here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: