Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The teacher evryone is starting to hate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kungfuman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: The teacher evryone is starting to hate Reply with quote

Does your school have one of these? There is a teacher who is always complaining about everything. Unfortunately, he shares my office so when I am at my desk I have to listen to his tirades.

Now, he had an argument with our boss. And is openly badmouthing the boss to anyone who will listen. Thing is, most of us like our boss. He's a pretty good guy - mostly hands off (which we like) but available when problems arise. Not sure if he is an owner of the school (never asked him) but he is obviously a little rich as he drives an imported American car and went to school in Canada.

So this teacher is now hating everyone and everything about the school. And of course, it brings down the mood of those of us in my office. Of the 6 or so foreign teachers that share this office and 2 Chinese assistants we all typically get along pretty well and have some decent conversations - well except for this one douche bag.

What do you fellow teachers do when you encounter a rotten apple in your midst?

By the way he snapped at one of the other foreign teachers today and in a very hostile way told him to shut up.

BTW I like my job - low hours, decent pay, no lesson plans to make and very nice competent Chinese assistants.
Nuolan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually tell these types of people to shove it or ignore them. We had one guy who was sort of like that here, but without the angry side, just a whiner. Thankfully, he left a month into the term.

By the way, if he gets canned, let me know if you want someone to fill the spot. Smile
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The teacher evryone is starting to hate Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
What do you fellow teachers do when you encounter a rotten apple in your midst?

I've had a couple like this in the workplace over the past few years. I usually avoid them, I don't socialize with them, and just pretend they're not there. With any luck they get the hint they're not well-liked and move on voluntarily, but if not hopefully the school helps them along by not offering them a new contract.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some line about 'when you can't spot the bad apple .. YOU are the bad apple.'?
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone who has been in China awhile has met at least one complainer. I think maybe it's just how some people cope with living in a different culture or sth. I had a coworker like that a few years ago. Complained about EVERYTHING. He left after the first semester.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the only thing that could make things worse, is if he is also a clandestine missionary.
I had one at my last school and he was always trying to find ways to get groups of students up to his apartment. He had even bought 20/30 of those little canvas stools for them.
I had one guy also (same school) who made it a condition of his contract that he should have no supervision or in-class observation of his teaching.
Even so, he insisted that the DTA (his nominal supervisor) made sure he was kept in the loop about make up classes and pay arrangements, concert attendances etc.
DTA told him to get lost, as in:
'I'm not a beepin' smorgasbord, where you can cherry pick (mixed metaphor - sorry) what you want'.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterButtkins wrote:
I think everyone who has been in China awhile has met at least one complainer. I think maybe it's just how some people cope with living in a different culture or sth. I had a coworker like that a few years ago. Complained about EVERYTHING. He left after the first semester.

At least he was consistent and had good follow-through. It gets me when people whine and then come back for more punishment the next term or even the next year.

I also whine and bitch and moan "on occasion". But I do try to balance it with a generally optimistic and appreciative attitude. Some days you got to vent. If it goes beyond the odd bad day or one person you'd rather not interact with, go somewhere else. Most of us (foreign teachers) have that luxury of relatively easy travel to the majority of the planet, and we can almost certainly return to our home countries.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair ... that kind of dynamic exists in every workplace and in every industry. Taking the average 'team' in many workplace scenarios and you are likely to have someone who complains / someone who bullys / someone who doesnt pull their weight / someone who sucks up to the boss / a liar / a casanova ... the list could go on.

The advantage in teaching is that whilst you may need to share office time (I dont have any office duties per se so Im lucky), the people I dont get on with never have any real input or influence in my class as I work alone. Its far worse when that person you dont like is part of your team and you rely on and need them to get your job done.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Denim Maniac. I always avoid this problem and keep all my converstions only about teaching. And they you have the great team player like Lance Armstrong. Ten years ago all his mates wanted to lift him on their sholders and bask in his glory. Be thankful that in China you don't have the wackos coming to school with assault rifles.
Teaching in China is stressful you need to find a way to leave the job and do something you like that has nothing to do with teaching or office pollitics.
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy I don't have any foreigners at my school. Mostly because the conversations tend to quickly dissolve into complaining about everything and I'll be honest, I'm right in there with my long list of grouses.

Now I just listen to my Chinese coworkers and feel sort of embarrassed about even complaining in the first place. Dem ladies have it rough.. the boss rides them like no tomorrow.. sheesh..
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest issue with this teacher is his hostility towards the boss. Boss Man is a real good guy and helped me when I had a deranged student go crazy one day in my class and his door is always open when issues arise.

I'm a believer in loyalty to him and the school as they have treated me 100% correct in my 8 months there. When there was an issue over taxing the housing allowance he and the school decided to raise the allowance by 600rmb a month to cover the tax burden.

I chat with the other teachers in my program and in the other program - they all like and respect him.

Plus this teacher is badmouthing him in front of Boss man's assistant - I am sure she tells him.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
My biggest issue with this teacher is his hostility towards the boss.

Plus this teacher is badmouthing him in front of Boss man's assistant - I am sure she tells him.

This is all good. You should encourage him to speak up more and he'll eliminate himself through self-Darwinism. This guy must be a real idiot.
hochhasd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
My biggest issue with this teacher is his hostility towards the boss. Boss Man is a real good guy and helped me when I had a deranged student go crazy one day in my class and his door is always open when issues arise.

I'm a believer in loyalty to him and the school as they have treated me 100% correct in my 8 months there. When there was an issue over taxing the housing allowance he and the school decided to raise the allowance by 600rmb a month to cover the tax burden.

I chat with the other teachers in my program and in the other program - they all like and respect him.

Kungfuman I PM you
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to scram or you will have the MOB deal with him. Imply that you have connections with Public Security. Remind him that foreigners sometimes disappear witthout trace.

Even better, report him to the Party.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony of this post is the OP is doing the same thing as the person in his office was doing. Saying bad things about others behind their back.
Lesson learn is to keep to oneself in China. Do your job and have a life outside of your job. If things don't work out have a job B , C, and D you can go to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: