Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can Spouse Work While I Teach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Can Spouse Work While I Teach Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am considering both Saudi and the UAE for teaching in the future (perhaps 2 years away), and wonder if my spouse would be able to find employment while I teach?

[She is just my gf now, but we're talking... Razz ]

Basically, she is Chinese-Indonesian with near-native English speaking abilities and will have a Masters in Public Relations. She also has some experience working with a multinational (6 months so far) as part of her masters degree.

We are not thinking she will be making big money, but her field is her passion , working in the business world is her dream, and it would be nice to keep her busy and at least bringing something to the table.

As a further thought, I am thinking that I'd probably rather us both working in the UAE for the same money (or even a bit less) than only me working in Saudi. It's not all about the money if we were going to do the "us both working" route...

Many thanks,
Chinaski
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Masters in public relations, she should easily be able to find work in the UAE. She might make more than you do (depending on the company)

One issue she might have is the number of people who might think she is a prostitute (not at work, but in the stores). Locals and arabs will ask her for "message." It might not happen often, but it will happen, especially if you aren't around.

But with that in mind, the UAE is a much more open place than Saudi. (trust me, unless your gf/soon wife is a conservative muslim, she probably won't like saudi.... very very restrictive on women.)

check out www.dubizzle.com and have her check out PR firms. Also check out gnads4u.com. either one have a good representation of the jobs available in the UAE.
Chinaski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply...and my (hopefully future Razz) wife has very thick skin from having grown up in Indonesia as an ethnic Chinese.

[She is called a "Cina" (China) wh*re" by Indo-Muslims on a regular basis... Wink]

And I would love it if she could make as much or more money than me. Razz

And actually, can you please tell me what my odds would be of switching over from teaching to business?

I will have my MBA next year from a reputable German university...

Otherwise, my recent work/education history is..

-10 years teaching overall in Thailand (1.5 years), South Korea (7),
and now the Middle East (1+)
- MEd-TESL (gained year 8 of teaching +/-)
- US teaching license (grades 5-12, content: ESL)
- Celta will be completed within 3-6 months
- Have taught almost 7 years at the university level

My undergraduate degree was in Criminology, so it was heavy on law, and I have some brief experience interning in a law office giving rights to mental health consumes (i.e. the mentally insane Razz ) in my home provinces mental institutions and a forensics (criminally insane Wink ) facility...

I might even consider a wage drop in the beginning to get my foot in the door and try something different..

Thanks for any and all comments or advice...

Chinaski
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaski wrote:
And actually, can you please tell me what my odds would be of switching over from teaching to business? I will have my MBA next year from a reputable German university...

Doesn't your MBA have a concentration or focus? That presumedly would be the career path you'd move into. But you're not likely to get specific advice on Dave's ESL Cafe regarding business-related opportunities. Try indeed.com, or for general jobs in the Mid East, bayt.com, if this region interests you.
Chinaski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

My MBA title is...

"Executive MBA in International Management and
Leadership"

...and I would say it's rather generalist in nature. [ie. Business Ethics, IT for Managers, Supply Chain Management, etc, etc]

I think I'd have to get into a company and then be directed/develop a specialty from there...perhaps one related to education or law, or possibly not... Wink

And thank you for your info so far; I passed it all onto my gf and she thanks you as well... Razz

Chinaski
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: