Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unreal Expectations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Unreal Expectations Reply with quote

It is clear from many posts here that those outside KSA have totally unreal exoectations of how much they can eran here and what life is acyually like in the Magiuc Kingdom.

We have teachers here working for Contractrors, earning 8000 SR a month. University teachers on PYP and related programmes may get 13000 or 14000

Then out of the blue we get someone from Korea who thinks he can walk into a job earning 20.000 a month.

Sheech ! GET REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unreal Expectations Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
It is clear from many posts here that those outside KSA have totally unreal exoectations of how much they can eran here and what life is acyually like in the Magiuc Kingdom.

We have teachers here working for Contractrors, earning 8000 SR a month. University teachers on PYP and related programmes may get 13000 or 14000

Then out of the blue we get someone from Korea who thinks he can walk into a job earning 20.00 a month.

Sheech ! GET REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very butthurt if you are talking about me mr. scot. Razz

Firstly, I am already in the Middle East, not currently in Korea. [I am just not in Saudi].

And I don't THINK I can walk into a job earning 20.00 a month.

I first inquired what I could reasonably expect to make, but as an ASIDE I mentioned that I wouldn't, at this time, consider anything less than 20.00 PLUS bennis (Shocked) because that would be a step down for me.

I hope we are clear, and can still remain friends. Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unreal Expectations Reply with quote

Chinaski wrote:
I mentioned that I wouldn't, at this time, consider anything less than 20.00 PLUS bennis (Shocked) because that would be a step down for me.

Why would you want to leave your current position if anything less than 20k SAR per month is a "step down" for you compared to what you're making now?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 00 was a typo !!!!!!!!!!!! One missing zero. Should have been 20,000

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^

It's ok, I'm not a picky person about things like that.

As long as we understand the gist of what I was saying. Very Happy

nomad soul wrote:
Quote:
Why would you want to leave your current position if anything less than 20k SAR per month is a "step down" for you compared to what you're making now?

I love my current job...the admin, co-workers, and teachers...but am just exploring other options.

It's like a hobby...and it's looking 1.5-2 years down the road.

Frankly, I don't really *want* to go anywhere anytime soon, but might be convinced it I was offered 20k+ a month.

[And I never look for new work when I need it; that's how I got this job. I applied (as part of my hobby Razz), got the offer, and took it...

That's all I was saying...

Chinaski
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinaski wrote:
^

nomad soul wrote:
Quote:

I love my current job...the admin, co-workers, and teachers...but am just exploring other options.

Frankly, I don't really *want* to go anywhere anytime soon, but might be convinced it I was offered 20k+ a month.

[And I never look for new work when I need it; that's how I got this job. I applied (as part of my hobby Razz), got the offer, and took it...

Chinaski

You are in a job you love??? And it's also got pretty good pay, right???That's a genuine rarity in TEFL. You should stick where you are, and be extremely grateful you've found a stable place of gainful employment.

Please take my advice and find a new '"hobby", as leaving a job you love, simply for the lure of a bit more coin, can backfire severely. The nightmare employers seem to far outnumber the good ones in this tumultuous industry. Who's to say the '20K' you're promised in a new job won't be a 'theoretical salary'...?

Better a hassle-free life on a reliable 13k than being ready to be fitted for a strait-jacket on a, perhaps shakey, 20k... Very Happy
Chinaski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulgogiboy wrote:
Chinaski wrote:
^

nomad soul wrote:
Quote:

Chinaski

You are in a job you love??? And it's also got pretty good pay, right???That's a genuine rarity in TEFL. You should stick where you are, and be extremely grateful you've found a stable place of gainful employment.

Please take my advice and find a new '"hobby", as leaving a job you love, simply for the lure of a bit more coin, can backfire severely. The nightmare employers seem to far outnumber the good ones in this tumultuous industry. Who's to say the '20K' you're promised in a new job won't be a 'theoretical salary'...?

Better a hassle-free life on a reliable 13k than being ready to be fitted for a strait-jacket on a, perhaps shakey, 20k... Very Happy

This is a very sage post, and I will definitely keep it in mind before I ever choose to change employment.

I also plan and forecast for a time when I may not have a choice, however. As you mentioned, the TEFL game can be fickle; if I am not renewed or something unexpected happens I want to have as much information (and options) at my fingertips.

Again, I don't plan to leave soon, and I will balance all things well if I must/choose to...

I don't like the taste of regret anymore than others do. Razz
Expat101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's 100% correct! I wish I had had this advice before ever getting myself involved in this business many years ago. The employers are operating like corrupt politicians who remain indifferent towards their foreign teachers that they routinely traffic into various countries. If you find an employer that doesn't fit this description, you may find a lot of the students unbearable, 'not normal,' and a lot of other unpleasant adjectives can be inserted here:

Love your job? You better hold onto it for dear life!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: