Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Noura University (PNU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmp45

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posh wrote:
c_dange wrote:
There is a social life to be found here where the abayas do come off!

Yeah! Where?

Why bother to ask "where?"
You'll never be invited 'anyplace' where the abayas come off

It's just meant to frustrate you further... Laughing
c_dange

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more like the American or Canadian embassies (which serve banned substances regularly, since they're considered foreign soil). Some of the bigger compounds also have parties or dance/exercise classes that outsiders can attend. There's also the Hash...where expats sweat it out un-cloaked in the desert. Or, if you're really lucky, the American army base just outside of Riyadh where all varieties of debauchery go down. Problem is that most of the fun events require an invite...so get networking! A good place to start is internations.org if you're not sure how to go about meeting people in public Wink
Fernwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fledex wrote:
teechagimme wrote:
I just got this and I think that it supports what I said earlier today.

Hello, If you have received this email, you are on the list of individuals whom Princess Noura University, after their own performance review, wishes to be assigned elsewhere for teaching next year. Therefore we will have to reassign you in September 2012. Please do not worry. All will be OK. Our successful work this spring and summer on securing new contracts means that we have a number of new sites for placement in the coming year. You will hear about your reassignment as the summer unfolds, but I wanted to alert you to this eventuality with PNU right now so that you are aware. I hope you are having a good summer. Dr Bill

In other words, Edex wants to keep your resume and credentials on file through the summer to help themselves land new contracts. There are no guarantees. Don't expect anything. It's the norm in Saudi and with Edex to keep each other hanging, be sure to search for other options. They will also be looking for other options than you.

It sounds like you are fed up with Ed Ex and that's clear (based on your comments and sign on name). However, it's the university that has opted not to use her services, not the company. Most employers would just terminate you if the client refused to have you back. Instead it sounds like they are trying to keep her and place her elsewhere.

I know of at least 3 other teachers who were sent similar emails and they are clueless as to why. The company has offered them other options to keep them though. It's unfortunate that the 'university' didn't give them solid reasons or offer them a discussion surrounding their decision not to have them return but it doesn't sound like the company is at fault.

Just trying to be objective.
frankly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: PNU/Capita Reply with quote

I have read the posts on PNU. They are contradictory and sometimes unspecific. I was interviewed from London despite my saying I didn't really want to work in Saudi ( had applied for Malaysia).
So they are desperate? Why?
Does anyone know about Capita recruitment?
Can anyone 'on the ground' at PNU now give me up to date info? Accommodation?
I don't like the idea of leaving my passport with anyone.
I have spent 5 years on and off in Egypt so segregation is a good thing in my opinion. It is just the employment practice of treating you like s--t and endless lies that bother me.
Why am I thinking of it?
The money and academic teaching to adults.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly wrote:
I have read the posts on PNU. They are contradictory and sometimes unspecific. I was interviewed from London despite my saying I didn't really want to work in Saudi ( had applied for Malaysia). So they are desperate? Why?

Then stick with Malaysia; go with your gut feeling. As for PNU being desperate for teachers, my understanding is that they have a large number of teaching spots to quickly fill. They have to contend with teachers who leave for whatever reason, in addition to a pool of applicants that includes some who either don't fit the bill or change their minds. In other words, they need "binders full of women"---qualified and culturally-tolerant ones---to fill these positions. Wink (I couldn't resist!) And yes, teachers who can deal with a lot of ambiguity.

and wrote:
Does anyone know about Capita recruitment?

Doesn't really matter who the recruiter is. If you're still interested in working there, you need to find out who the actual employer is---the entity that will be signing your contract. Benefits (e.g., accommodation, transport, and visa reimbursements) and management style may vary based on the employer. That adds to what you say is contradictory and unspecific info.

and lastly wrote:
I don't like the idea of leaving my passport with anyone. I have spent 5 years on and off in Egypt so segregation is a good thing in my opinion. It is just the employment practice of treating you like s--t and endless lies that bother me. Why am I thinking of it? The money and academic teaching to adults.

Again... Then stick with Malaysia or wherever if you don't feel you're able to lower your expectations and deal with uncertainty. If you're defensive or apprehensive now, it may be very difficult for you to be flexible enough to both live in the ultra-conservative Kingdom and work in a potentially funky job situation.
foxm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: PNU Reply with quote

I have a friend who is working there now. She is enjoying it as best as you can working in a country so different from our culture. I have seen the place. The accommodation is great. The pay is great The extra facilities are not yet open. Many teachers have left, but a lot have stayed. They need so many female teachers there that the demand is always constant. My friend is a direct hire and not through SBC.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Nora_bint_Abdul_Rahman_University

Usualy I think Priness NOURA Univesrity. Certainly NOT Nouria !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a bit late to complain about that spelling error. That was done way back in June. Did you just notice?

VS
(and I will be polite and not mention your two fat finger typos... just cause... Laughing)
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not often look at threads about institutions for the distaff side.

The problem could be when a poster tries a search for "Princess Noura". That will not give results for "Princess Nouria" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point... though I think the search will pick it up from within the thread too - not just from the title. Perhaps if one of the moderators is reading, they might do a little edit if they think it matters.

VS

(MOD edit for thread title)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach Away recruits for them as well. A friend of mine just renewed her contract with PNU. Says it's a great job. I don't know though.
frankly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: princess Noura Reply with quote

Thanks for your input on my questions. Perhaps I came across wrong, but Nomad Soul I found your responses baffling, I am very experienced in cultural difference, not intolerant or defensive. It is very sensible for any single white female to be very cautious about going to such a deeply misogynistic part of the world and to gain as much info as possible about the situation. As I said 5 years in Egypt, a supposedly liberal islamic country taught me a lot, and the experience was not exactly 'funky'. Political correctness is a very dangerous attitude to enter these countries with-get real and you will cope much better.
I am questioning a recruitment process which ignores my application for a position in one country and persists in interviewing me for a position in another. Thanks for the unelicited advice in 'sticking' to Malaysia. I can, however, make my own decisions.
But then who am I to question- it sounds as if you really know it all.

Last edited by frankly on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
readytotravel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great job for some, myself included, especially if you are direct hire. As far as I know, Teach Away and Uniservices are the only ones to recruit for direct hire. I have not heard of Capita. In the PYP program there are teachers from SBC, Edex, ICEAT, and one other whose name escapes me. The EAP and ELDP teachers are, I believe, all direct hire and work on the new campus.

Gym still not open, nor the retail store and restaurant, but accommodations for direct hire are great. Direct hire teachers also make quite a bit more salary than the others.

The worst part of being here is the endless gossip and the teachers who have been here for less than six months who deem themselves experts in Saudi culture and appropriate behavior. Unsolicited advice abounds.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankly wrote:
Thanks for your input on my questions. Perhaps I came across wrong, but Nomad style I found your responses baffling, I am very experienced in cultural difference, not intolerant or defensive. It is very sensible for any single white female to be very cautious about going to such a deeply misogynistic part of the world and to gain as much info as possible about the situation. As I said 5 years in Egypt a supposedly liberal islamic country taught me a lot-and the experience was not exactly 'funky'. Political correctness is a very dangerous attitude to enter these countries with-get real and you will cope much better.
I am questioning a recruitment process which ignores my application for a position in one country and persists in interviewing me for a position in another. Thanks for the unelicited advice in 'sticking' to Malaysia. I can, however, make my own decisions.

My comments weren't so much about culture, although, you can't compare Egypt to Saudi Arabia---apples and oranges. Yes, the Kingdom is uber-conservative and takes some adjusting; yet, you sound like you'd do okay here in terms of the culture. By no means was I questioning your ability to live/work in a different culture. My point was that things become "funky" when you add a potentially sketchy contracting company into the mix and put yourself into a situation where you'll have little to no control over your work and living conditions.

frankly wrote:
I don't like the idea of leaving my passport with anyone.
It is just the employment practice of treating you like s--t and endless lies that bother me.

That's the funkiness and it's real for many teachers who work here through a contracting company situation as evidenced on a lot of the threads throughout this forum. (And from horror stories from several of my friends as well.) This is why it's key to find out who the employer or contracting company is because that's who you'd be dealing with.

frankly wrote:
I was interviewed from London despite my saying I didn't really want to work in Saudi ( had applied for Malaysia).

If Malaysia was your first choice and you're not keen on working in KSA, then go with Malaysia. But whatever your choice, good luck, and hopefully, you'll be in a situation that suits your living and teaching needs.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

readytotravel wrote:
It is a great job for some, myself included, especially if you are direct hire. As far as I know, Teach Away and Uniservices are the only ones to recruit for direct hire. I have not heard of Capita. In the PYP program there are teachers from SBC, Edex, ICEAT, and one other whose name escapes me. The EAP and ELDP teachers are, I believe, all direct hire and work on the new campus.

I'm hearing the same. My friend who was recruited by Teachaway is doing fine---no complaints from her aside from some facilities not being open at the housing. However, another friend at PNU is with SBC and was one of the dozen or so teachers stranded in other countries last year because they were incorrectly informed by the company that they could leave/re-enter on a business visit visa. She's still with them, but now has an iqama. SBC advertises that iqama holders get to keep their passports, but those who prefer to come on business visit visas have to turn their passports over to SBC. That means being without your official ID; however, you're given a choice. But yes, direct hire is ideal. By the way, my passport is always with me, and I'm not required to turn in my iqama when I leave the Kingdom over the breaks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: