Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collocations and phonology
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I thought the collocations were strong enough and natural. What's the issue with them?

And, 'farewell' is not a verb, it is true, but it is based on the verb 'to fare', so the OP's error is not totally grievous Very Happy
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

DISCLAIMER - This doesnt mean that one should ignore language and IPA etc ... but as Ive said before, dont stress about it too much. Success is about the method really.

Good advice from Denim-Maniac--don't stress out about this stuff. Just do your conscientious best (as you are.) You'll get it. Very Happy

fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to say relax and don't take these tasks (especially the more questionable items) or the course itself too seriously, but much depends on what the tutors are like, and they might not be the forgiving type regarding errors in pre-course task answers, or <gulp> later in TP (teaching practice) plans and lessons etc (you'll have a little bit more time then to prepare for that TP...but only a little!). From what you've written, they sound as if they might be the tough love type "LOL". Unfortunately, what that tough love might well translate as is turning the spotlight back on the trainee while not deigning to explain enough, and I'm not sure tutors will have the time (or patience) for stuff like basic parts of speech at the best of times. Still, lacking a bit of language awareness will very probably only deny you a top grade rather than being a clear criterion for failing (failing seems more about stuff like completely refusing to change teaching style, severe attitude problems, not doing the work at all etc).

The keywords I think are the "sufficiently obsequious" towards the end of the Englishdroid article here: https://sites.google.com/site/englishdroid2/the-profession/celta-without-tears-1 . Very Happy And here's an UCLES training clip showing how one should interact with the typical CELTA trainer (note also the late-night completion of the task etc etc): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8 Laughing A certain measure of self-effacement, tongue-biting and forelock-tugging will be involved.

But getting serious again for a minute, I would as I've intimated before also be looking beyond the course, where study time will become even more of a luxury once working as a teacher - the methodology will only take you so far, and in my experience isn't what really powers a lot of ideas or creativity (that is, language lessons IMHO are or should ultimately draw from and be based on the language and its patterns of interaction, not on quite crude behavioural [small b for now] templates that miss out or blur/muddy/fudge etc a lot of the items, stages and processes involved. A bit like, "Here is some tuna sushi, it grows on plates you know! Now digest it").

@Sash: I was also thinking about the etymology of 'farewell', but didn't look it up, assuming it just was once something (admittedly imperative-sounding) like "Fare you well". It's an interesting point, but the interjection at least sounds pretty archaic nowadays, and the noun usage has it trumped in the frequency stakes (going simply by the order of the entries in the LDOCE4). "Bonus": Hmm, I'm not sure that I'd agree with the 'old-fashioned' usage label (more just 'written English', surely?) that the Longman has prefacing the two examples Mourners gathered to bid [=say [a] - FH] farewell to the victims of the plane tragedy, and a farewell speech; then, the latter overlaps meaning-wise with the farewell party-like items in the (sub)entry following it. http://www.ldoceonline.com/search/?q=farewell

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Sun May 11, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Augustus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

I've just this minute emailed off the completed task............ !!!!!!!!!!

I've never been so happy to send an email!!!!!!!

Its snowed very badly last night and this morning so I just hope I am not stuck here at the library all night. I've not been able to come online regularly to respond to queries about the question I posted as as my laptop give up the ghost and has gone to the Health Clinic to be looked at and hopefully repaired.

In short though any underlining in the tasks was mine - sorry for any confusion and thank you everyone for all your encouragement and help. I will no doubt be back quite soon as my course begins tommorrow.

Looking forward to "seeing" you again!

Jenny
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jenny:

All the best to you as you start your course at last:-)
CELTA is tough for many people, not the least because trainers WILL give critical feedback. Your openness to listening to and applying feedback from others as demonstrated on this forum should be a great strength to you, as will your willingness to do the legwork to get it right.
It probably won't be all fun, but it looks like you've got some of the most important qualities required to succeed in the end.
Fingers crossed for you, and best regards to Augustus-the-guinea-pig too.

Sincerely,
spiral
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck! I hope you'll fare well! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3PBUDpeuE
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In short though any underlining in the tasks was mine - sorry for any confusion and thank you everyone for all your encouragement and help. I will no doubt be back quite soon as my course begins tommorrow.

Good luck on the course, I'm sure you'll do fine. If you do post any further task questions, please type them out exactly as they appear, as it will obviously help make answering them that bit more straightforward (though I doubt there'll be enough time now for you to post much and receive many replies...but that's probably just as well really, as you ought to be assessed on how you answer the actual course stuff. Personally I may not feel as inclined to answer or correct anything as much as before. Hope that doesn't sound too unreasonable LOL Wink Cool).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: