Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Connect With Others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarcastro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: How To Connect With Others Reply with quote

All most all of my social networking experience, and how I connected with other expats while Ive been abroad, has been through FB. Considering the Golden Shield AKA "The Great Firewall" blocks it, how do I connect with others while Im over here.

FYI I just moved to Haining (Jaixing) and I know NO ONE here.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people use a VPN service ... but lots of people dont bother. Relying on things like Facebook might not cut it. I think most people in China who use it, do so to keep in touch with people back home. I dont believe its used as a tool to find new friends.

If you dont know anyone where you are ... first port of call should be your colleagues I guess. They can normally show you around and help you find your feet. Chances are they can show you a few common places to hang-out and you'll then get too meet teachers from other employers or other ex-pats in the area.

If you are in a big city, they often have forums devoted to the place ... never been in a big city myself, but I hear people use sites like those to make friends.

And you need to allow time. Interested Chinese adults seem to be able to find foreigners, this goes for dating too IMHO. Just give it time.
doogsville

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Google search on Jiaxing expat, it throws up a couple of useful looking sites.
fred13331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Connect With Others Reply with quote

Sarcastro wrote:
All most all of my social networking experience, and how I connected with other expats while Ive been abroad, has been through FB. Considering the Golden Shield AKA "The Great Firewall" blocks it, how do I connect with others while Im over here.

I went to Jiaxing, once, for a day, 5 years ago. I recall a walmart and a Dairy Queen. Have an ex student working there....
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: How To Connect With Others Reply with quote

Sarcastro wrote:

This is something that you should have researched BEFORE traveling half way around the world.
kev7161

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual hilena_westb, your comments and contributions to this and all threads are INSIGHTFUL and RIGHT ON THE MARK. Your scathing comment has, I'm sure, cut the OP to the quick and he is hanging his head in shame as we speak (er, type!). Well done again, sir. I say WELL DONE!!!

Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: