Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Get Full Disclosure From Agents & Recruiters...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B4UGO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: How To Get Full Disclosure From Agents & Recruiters... Reply with quote

I learned the hard way about scam agents in China who will say anything to get your signature on a contract. Then I hooked up with the China Foreign Teachers Union who gave mel a form letter to give to agents/recruiters who contact me with offers. Although this was designed with China in mind, it would work just about anywhere in the world (with minor wording modifications) and will quickly sort the legitimate agents from the scam recruiters without risking identity theft. Go to this link and scroll down untill you see the white form letter with blue border. http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.org/2012/12/china-foreign-teachers-union-posts-esl.html This is simple but effective protection and best of all - its free.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Get Full Disclosure From Agents & Recruiters. Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
I learned the hard way about scam agents in China who will say anything to get your signature on a contract. Then I hooked up with the China Foreign Teachers Union who gave mel a form letter to give to agents/recruiters who contact me with offers. Although this was designed with China in mind, it would work just about anywhere in the world (with minor wording modifications) and will quickly sort the legitimate agents from the scam recruiters without risking identity theft. Go to this link and scroll down untill you see the white form letter with blue border. http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.org/2012/12/china-foreign-teachers-union-posts-esl.html This is simple but effective protection and best of all - its free.

It is very pretty but I can assure you that as an employer, should that hit my desk or inbox, the job application that accompanied it would hit the trash bin even faster without so much as a 2nd thought or blink of an eye.

(and I screen about 1000 applications and I directly hire about 100 applicants per year for our (K-12) schools).

nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
Then I hooked up with the China Foreign Teachers Union who gave me a form letter to give to agents/recruiters who contact me with offers.

I don't know how teachers get jobs in China, but instead of posting your CV and personal info on the Net and waiting for every shark to see and move in for a bite, a better strategy would be to proactively research recruiting agencies and employers first to ensure they're reputable and only then, contacting them with your letter of interest and/or CV.

By sending out that form letter, especially in response to a job ad, you put off those recruiters and employers who are on the up-and-up because it shows you didn't bother to do your homework about the employer or position. Plus, to the recipient, this type of letter comes across as arrogant in addition to conveying a sense of distrust. Not a good way to get oneself employed.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Nomad Soul's comments. Re China, I would recommend skipping recruiters altogether. Research schools in the area that interests you and then contact the schools directly. I'm not the only one who advises folks to avoid recruiters. I know that for some areas of the world it is difficult to avoid using recruiters, but in China it is not necessary. Where it is necessary, do as Nomad suggests... research the recruiters.

scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Disclosure ? From Con Men ?
Burke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Get Full Disclosure From Agents & Recruiters. Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
B4UGO wrote:

It is very pretty but I can assure you that as an employer, should that hit my desk or inbox, the job application that accompanied it would hit the trash bin even faster without so much as a 2nd thought or blink of an eye.

(and I screen about 1000 applications and I directly hire about 100 applicants per year for our (K-12) schools).

I thought the letter is for "agents" not employers?
Juice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:
Second Nomad Soul's comments. Re China, I would recommend skipping recruiters altogether. Research schools in the area that interests you and then contact the schools directly. I'm not the only one who advises folks to avoid recruiters. I know that for some areas of the world it is difficult to avoid using recruiters, but in China it is not necessary. Where it is necessary, do as Nomad suggests... research the recruiters.

I agree 200%. There is nothing a recruiter can do for you that you can't do for yourself. I was deported because of a recruiter who assured me my L visa was going to be "converted". Now I have a reentry ban (I am trying to get around it with a new passport). If you are dumb as a rock and can't figure out how to find your own teaching job or are just to darn lazy, at least read this link and do an hour of homework.

http://www.bjstuff.com/profiles/blogs/cftu-dyi-guide-how-to-check-out-a-china-foreign-teacher-job-1

There is a lot of good advice here at Dave's and had I found this web site before I came to China, I would have saw what all the vets have written and NEVER would have used an agent.
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite the bullet.

For those who don't frequent the China board on this forum, there is a recurring problem of one person creating multiple accounts and spamming links to the 'China Foreign Teacher Union'. This is one of their aliases, as is another person who has replied.

I won't write a list of their usernames, but to regulars on the China board they are well known and easy to recognise. Ask a few of the regulars on that board and you'll see what I mean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: