Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Institute Online Classes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, most online course are really just a very, very crappy cut and paste of the above methodology books. Expect their 'modules' to simply comprise judicious lifting of Harmer et al, with a few moronic self-made additions or comments. Pathetic, on the whole.

So why pay them a grand for extracts of books you can buy yourself?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to fail a CELTA or equivalent course, but in my experience, people who fail usually:

1. are unable or unwilling to accept constructive criticism
2. are unable or unwilling to apply feedback to practice
3. have consistent difficulties in communicating appropriately with students
4. have problems with normal professional skills, such as being on time, prepared, and demonstrating a pleasant and professional manner

These folks often fall into either of three categories:
1. have come from a system in which failure (whether small or large) isn't a possibility
2. have taught (something) before and are utterly convinced that they know best how it should be done
3. simply haven't got a professional ethic

(it's unusual to be able to make such simple lists, but I honestly think these ones are pretty accurate in this case - again, from my perspective of 15 years in the field and work with both newbie and practicing teachers)
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good list, Spiral. Though it could benefit from a more basic failing that some trainees display: lack of basic intelligence and common sense. However, even that may not be enough to fail you outright Very Happy God knows we see the evidence of that in many a staff room...
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live, OP? Are you located in or near Chicago? You might want to take a look at the Trinity course at Coventry House in Toronto for $1,000. A fair number of their grads go on to Korea following the (5-week) course. Of course you'd have to factor in housing and travel to see if it would save you many $$$.

And to add to tttompatz's excellent list, the SIT course in Thailand is $1,500 (or was recently; I didn't look it up just now,) and would at least locate you in the right neck of your desired woods.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
It's possible to fail a CELTA or equivalent course, but in my experience, people who fail usually:

1. are unable or unwilling to accept constructive criticism
2. are unable or unwilling to apply feedback to practice
3. have consistent difficulties in communicating appropriately with students
4. have problems with normal professional skills, such as being on time, prepared, and demonstrating a pleasant and professional manner

Yeah! Especially #1! Or perhaps these #1-ers are just more memorable because they are so incredibly frustrating.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Good list, Spiral. Though it could benefit from a more basic failing that some trainees display: lack of basic intelligence and common sense. However, even that may not be enough to fail you outright Very Happy God knows we see the evidence of that in many a staff room...

Add:

5. Inability to speak/write the English language without causing other native English speakers to cringe

spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Yes. I'd forgotten that actually very memorable Cajun candidate from Loosiann, whom we unfortunately really couldn't certify because his English was so out of the standard range. It was a waste, because he was actually otherwise a good candidate, but he really just couldn't moderate his speech enough to be understood by even proficient non-native speakers (we couldn't understand him either). We refunded his money, though. He didn't deserve to be fleeced. In fact, I later hooked him up with curriculum design projects - he was pretty good on paper.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lebergerrouge2 wrote:
Again, many thanks for all the great advice. One issue with taking the CELTA in my target country would be that after finishing, I would still need to find a job, and that seems like a potentially stressful situation. I have heard qualified English teachers do not have that much difficulty securing work in China, but it's probably something that I would be more comfortable with having in place before I left the states.
There are "horror" stories concerning the CELTA/SIT TESOL. Are these stories in any way valid? Does anyone know of any texts I could acquire before embarking on these classes, just to be fully prepared and make the most out the experience?

For a native speaker with degree and TEFL, in the country country or available with documents in hand at the right time of year the chances of almost immediate employment rapidly approach 100% without even much effort. It ain't the States.

Korean employers hire about 15,000 new teachers every spring (25,000 employed).
China hires about 50,000 new teachers every year (a shortfall of some 20,00 compared to jobs).
Thailand absorbs about 30,000 per year (15,000 legal and another 15,000 backpackers extending their stay in the tropics).
20,000 for the rest of ASEAN.
5000+ for Taiwan in buxibans.
The list goes on.

lebergerrouge2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, I am currently in Montana. While this does mean that I have a very neutral "standard" American accent, it also implies that I about 1000 miles away from a real "city". This is most of the reason why I was blindly hoping that the online format was a godsend, and not an inferior means of flushing hundreds of dollars down the toilet. I have roots and connections in Minneapolis, but I am not finding much there as far as CELTA or SIT cert TESOL goes. Is it common to find housing included with these classes, or is it just a luck-of-the-draw situation? I did see that the class in Costa Rica is only $1200, which could almost make it worth the trip (plus, I don't see much wrong with a month spent down there). I guess at this point I'm just looking for the least costly, convenient means of taking the CELTA or its virtual equivalent. One way or the other, it's clear that I have months of research ahead of me, but thankfully this forum seems to be a great asset so far.
lebergerrouge2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's another option I am considering: going abroad with only my degree, and then after my first year of teaching obtaining a CELTA (or equiv) probably in the target country (or in a place like Thailand).
lebergerrouge2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in the off-chance that someone recognizes a semblance of legitimacy (or obvious B.S.) here's of their "credentials". It was enclosed in an email they sent me:
TEFL Institute is a fully accredited internationally recognized TEFL Provider. TEFL Institute courses are accredited through ACCREDITAT, a division of Training Issues Ltd, based in the UK. Accreditat is a leading international accreditation body for TEFL training. Courses accredited through ACCREDITAT have met demanding standards in 4 key areas in order to received accreditation status: 1) The ethics and integrity of their operation, 2) The high quality of their courses, 3) The caliber of their assessment, 4) The high capability, extensive knowledge and expertise of their instructors. TEFL Institute courses are also recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education qualifying for CPDU (Continuing Professional Development Units).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a solid TEFL qualificaton will get you a job. The only thing keeping you from moving forward is you. Take a deep breath and jump into researching cert training centers that offer the best bang for your buck in terms of airfare, housing, cost of living, peace of mind, and more importantly, career potential.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just in the off-chance that someone recognizes a semblance of legitimacy (or obvious B.S.) here's of their "credentials". It was enclosed in an email they sent me:
TEFL Institute is a fully accredited internationally recognized TEFL Provider. TEFL Institute courses are accredited through ACCREDITAT, a division of Training Issues Ltd, based in the UK. Accreditat is a leading international accreditation body for TEFL training. Courses accredited through ACCREDITAT have met demanding standards in 4 key areas in order to received accreditation status: 1) The ethics and integrity of their operation, 2) The high quality of their courses, 3) The caliber of their assessment, 4) The high capability, extensive knowledge and expertise of their instructors. TEFL Institute courses are also recognized by the Illinois State Board of Education qualifying for CPDU (Continuing Professional Development Units

Without the supervised teaching component, none of this means anything at all in most regions where certs are required. In regions where you don't need a cert, it will suffice.

Book for Costa Rica.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accreditat? Who they be? Means next to nothing, apart from sounding vaguely similar to the usual way of bodies like these. A training school, or a group of training schools decide to 'recognise' each other as meeting their standards, and then peddle their 'accreditation' to unsuspecting schools in other countries, or to innocent new trainees who think that an official sounding name makes their training cert 'accredited'.

Why Accreditat and not NCFE? Ach! Who cares...
lebergerrouge2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Spiral-There is actually a supervised teaching component that supposedly comes with this course, but I doubt that little fact lifts it above the rank of garbage. If only I wasn't too late for the February class..Costa Rica sounds great right now!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: