Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The teacher evryone is starting to hate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy Bloom wrote:

Lesson learn is to keep to oneself in China. Do your job and have a life outside of your job. If things don't work out have a job B , C, and D you can go to.

Great advice for anyone.
coratheexplorer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The teacher evryone is starting to hate Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
Does your school have one of these? There is a teacher who is always complaining about everything. Unfortunately, he shares my office so when I am at my desk I have to listen to his tirades.

Now, he had an argument with our boss. And is openly badmouthing the boss to anyone who will listen. Thing is, most of us like our boss. He's a pretty good guy - mostly hands off (which we like) but available when problems arise. Not sure if he is an owner of the school (never asked him) but he is obviously a little rich as he drives an imported American car and went to school in Canada.

So this teacher is now hating everyone and everything about the school. And of course, it brings down the mood of those of us in my office. Of the 6 or so foreign teachers that share this office and 2 Chinese assistants we all typically get along pretty well and have some decent conversations - well except for this one douche bag.

What do you fellow teachers do when you encounter a rotten apple in your midst?

By the way he snapped at one of the other foreign teachers today and in a very hostile way told him to shut up.

BTW I like my job - low hours, decent pay, no lesson plans to make and very nice competent Chinese assistants.

Just wondering kungfuman, are you Chinese by any chance? Or of Chinese descent? Just curious Smile
do_japan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My approach was to try to strike a happy middle ground: get in a moderate amount of good-natured complaining about the job, have a few laughs about it, and then try to deliver the best lesson you can given the circumstances.

Personally, I would say there is an opposite extreme to this: FTs who are naive about the work conditions and take the boss's side in disputes. Example: I keep telling them that our boss can't add hours or weekends to our schedule without increasing our salaries or at least negotiating with us, because we all signed a contract for a specific number of hours at a specific monthly salary. Mr/Mrs naive optimist FT would then respond by saying something like "we have a job to do and they pay us to do it." Of course, when it comes time to do our unpaid overtime, they are the ones complaining, and I smile inside.

Now, I admit that I'm a cynic and have a generally negative outlook on matters. Perhaps it's possible that my co-workers considered me to be one of those teachers that complains too much? But a contract is a contract.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy Bloom wrote:
The irony of this post is the OP is doing the same thing as the person in his office was doing. Saying bad things about others behind their back.
Lesson learn is to keep to oneself in China. Do your job and have a life outside of your job. If things don't work out have a job B , C, and D you can go to.

Disagree. I am airing feelings inside of me in lieu of getting into a confrontation. So saying this is behind someone's back is a faulty argument.
B4UGO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Yes, every school has at least one! Reply with quote

Yes we have one name C.C. whose father is a lawyer in Australia. He just got done suing EF in Hangzhou and now after only two months working in Beijing he is suing our employer too! The killer is that he is the worst teacher in our group of foreigners and and is NEVER on time. Before he came two months ago, we had a stress-free and fun environment and now because of this arsehole we have to do all sorts of paperwork and everything has to be strictly "by the rules". This one jerk has made all of our lives much more than inconvenient. His lawsuit is BS but what he did to our work environment is a crime.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ If only your colleague had contacted the CFTU first. They could have sorted out his problems and advised him prior to his legal action. Udfortunately, 78% of teachers in China dont look at the CFTU website first.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn from the AZZ wholes. One guy in South Korea I worked with didn't hand in his grades. Made the rest of look real bad. I did the same thing at a job in China. I knew I was going to get burned like everyone before me. They told me to leave my apartment and my final payment would be given. The payment was for a 1,000rmb. No airline and an electric bill for 3,000. There was no meter I could check and i rarely used the air conditioner or heater. Trouble was the FAO was not intouch with the English department. Students had their grades because I always show them before incase there is a mistake in transcribing them. So the school probably made up grades and the students probably protested, I called the Dean up and wished him Happy New Year in Chinese. When he found out it was me he slammed the phone off. He then called me back and wanted me to delliver the grades. He was so angry. I was out about 15,000 rmb. No airlilne because I was coming from a job in China and going to another job in China. The electric bill is probably the best way to rip off teachers. In my country too. You just wire up to someone elses meter.
So the message is the same folks. Same message for years here. DON'T COME TO CHINA WITHOUT MONEY
Miajiayou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
To be fair ... that kind of dynamic exists in every workplace and in every industry. Taking the average 'team' in many workplace scenarios and you are likely to have someone who complains / someone who bullys / someone who doesnt pull their weight / someone who sucks up to the boss / a liar / a casanova ... the list could go on.

The advantage in teaching is that whilst you may need to share office time (I dont have any office duties per se so Im lucky), the people I dont get on with never have any real input or influence in my class as I work alone. Its far worse when that person you dont like is part of your team and you rely on and need them to get your job done.

Exactly. This kind of problem was worst when I was in an office. Try to minimize your office hours. Yeah, it's a drag if you like being around people, but you can make it up in your spare time.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a uni with about 12000 students, and about 150 foreign teachers.

And I'm one of two in the Journalism School.

Love it!
xiguagua

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel complaining is a bad thing necessarily. Sometimes it is nice when you spot the odd foreigner that you can complain about the things both of you have to deal with which makes you feel that you're not alone in this crazy country.

Now....when it turns to hostile tirades, and screaming and every waking moment is a moment of misery.......then there's a problem. If there was a person like this in my office i'd just ignore them completely and drop all non-vital communications with them. If they blew up in the office, i'd just put on some headphones. I believe that these people need other people to complain to and if no one is listening....they will find someone else who will.

Ignore them, don't feed the fire by responding or acknowledging and it will work itself out usually........unless the person is a complete psychopath in which case you're screwed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: