Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

china foreign teachers union
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zactherat wrote:

We like our English spoken, not slurred.

I like that! Trying really hard to think up cool TEFL-spy slogans now!

@kev7161 - I know of Raoul. I had an account suspended there and moved to 'read-only' as I posted queries about reviews that didnt fit with their ideas and agenda.
just another laowai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China Foreign Teachers Union and all associated sites are part of a fraud/extortion ring being run by Bruce Gorcyca aka Anthony DiMarco. A convicted felon and current fugitive on the run from the US.

More information about who this is is available here:
www.419advancefeefraud.blogspot.com/2011/09/anthony-dimarco-and-china-trade.html

His (numerous) accounts have already been banned at most expat forums.
B4UGO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably just as many bad teachers as there are bad schools, and I always consider the sources. In many blacklists floating around out there they are full of 3rd party BS like "I had a friend who..." That crap is meaningless to me. At least the CFTU site puts the sources and the links so people can judge for themselves.

I wonder how many blacklists of teachers are out there passed around to the Principals and Headmasters? I found this at China Daily in the archives and it proves that as far back as 2007, the schools were keeping tabs on the teachers;

Teacher blacklist arouses concern
(China Daily)
Updated: 2007-07-03 14:56

"Some universities in Shanghai have expressed concern about a teachers' blacklist on the Internet and said they will consider canceling the courses of these teachers next semester, if an investigation warrants it.

Recently, on some campus BBS, university students have posted comments on some teachers and suggested that fellow students not choose courses run by these teachers. Some students said they would login to the BBS first before deciding which course to take for the next semester. Some universities said they would consider the student comments and set up procedures to examine teachers' work."

(Xinwen Morning Post)
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at many of these schools on the blacklist. There is no way this organization will survive long. No unions in China are allowed.
Now what is needed is a way to screen recruiters. I see them as all being conected and buying and selling pieces of everyone, The large agencies are also connected.
I was so nice twenty years ago when yuo dealt directly with schools. People gave face to face interviews. They paid your way to the job.
Hope they don't step on the wrong toes.
B4UGO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Inside scoop from Chinese Vice Principal Reply with quote

One of my best friends here in China is engaged to marry a vice-principal of a Chinese-owned English school and she admitted to my friend that all the principals cozy up to the agents and recruiters - whether they are licensed or not.

She said that an average salary allocation for an expat foreign teacher is between 15,000-18,000 rmb per month. The principals will deliberately not hire directly because when they use an agent they get a 3,000 rmb kick-back from the agent who will also pocket an average of 3,000 rmb per month.

So on average, foreign teachers who use agents/recruiters in China are giving up a third or more of their real salaries to the agents and the principals! But it gets worse...

The principals will hire these foreign teachers on "90 day probationary periods" at reduced pay (maybe 50%-60% of full salary) and then at the very last week of that period tell the teacher a new budget amendment requires a "cutback" and the newest teachers must go!

Then they start the recruitment cycle all over again and both the agent and principal makes another round of quick profits. It's an evil but profitable game they play.

But the very worst part still, is that these same agents and principals run paid ads on many expat forums like EChinacities, Beijinger, etc. and when expats start to bitch about these schemes on forums, their posts get deleted and ignorance prevails.

I agree with you completely, the scam recruiters and agents are the main problem and I am glad the CFTU has been publishing their photos and many names on their website. BTW... all that I heard from my friend who has been dating the vice-principal for three years, is also mentioned in greater detail at www.chinascambusters.com
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a troller site for recruiters. Recruiters trolling recruiters. All the good teachers have left long ago. Anyone who tells people that the English teaching business is legit in China is lieing. Why do the leaders of the country all send their children abroad to studY? I have yet in over ten years teaching in Asia met a teacher who was never ripped off.
I meet people who say eveything is good at these nefarious places on the list they presented. They were drunk and waiving bottles in public. Sure they are happy untill they have to get deported back home on their 12 month of their contract. Personna non grata. I have yet to meet someone in China comming from a top university in the rest of the world.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another laowai - how exactly is the extortion racket working?

Presumably they plan to extort money from schools and agents? I think if that's what they're trying to do it's a bit of a longshot.

But let's be honest here. B4UGO, No Longer Amused and any other disciples here are probably the same person and the same IP address. Can anyone who has a history of posting on this site verify their physical existence? How come they advertise on this site, but not on sites, such as raoul's, that block multiple pseudonyms?

Mind you, that blacklist is at least vaguely valuable. (A bit like the worst recruiter in China having the most valuable site for finding jobs). No doubt there are schools on it that aren't that bad, but there are some schools and recruiters in China that one shouldn't have any dealings with, and they are on that blacklist.

If it is DiMarco, then maybe it takes a scammer to catch a scammer.

People should research schools and take what they find out into account, but still think for themselves. There are teachers who are going to have a bad experience in almost any school, but clearly there are bad ones out there.

I completely understand why the propsect of earning 250Y an hour would be attractive to some of us. In Beijing or Shanghai it probably is possible to earn that much an hour taching privates, though 200 may still be a more common upper limit.

I don't think teachers joining will be blacklisted, although its possible that at some point they plan to become a branch of SAEFA and offer to take you off the SAEFA blacklist that you unfortunately found your way on to because of your membership of CFTU. (Damn you SAEFA with an unfamiliar email address. How did you find out?)

Helpful as a Teachers Union or centralised information about schools and recruiters would be, it can't be sustained without the involvement, consent and control of the Communist Party, and I dare say the party deems these functions to already be in existence via SAEFA.

Unless someone 'real' wants to promote CFTU, I'd treat this with a lot of skepticism.
Lancy Bloom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching privates is against the law. Everyone says get everything done in your own country. Is it that easy? In 2008 the Hong Kong route was shut off. I was in my home country and they just wouldn't do it. Needed to have a hotel reservation. My school decides not to do it. I have evrything in my school. This school is on the black list.
I am now familiar with the things that have happened because the last three jobs I had the same thing . I worked till the end of the tourist visa and then told to take a hike. Oh I was such a good teacher up untill the last week and then someone I didn't even know who just started for the company or school told me via the telephone that I was no longer wanted and that I would not be paid. The names of these schools and companies are on the list.
Somethilng that is rarely noticed by new teachers is things left behind by the last teacher. Thins like suitcases filled with clothes. They head to Hong Kong and don't get back in.
The real problem is that people pay to have the right to hire foreign teachers. They then get the money back at the end of the contract.
It is the new world. Worse than slavery, worse than wage slavery. It is were you pay to be a slave.
B4UGO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey look guys, I didn't start this thread - just added my two cents. I don't give a rats ass about too much in China as I plan to go home in June. But I do think there is blacklist of teachers kept by the schools for two reasons and here is one of them; http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?topic=5006.15

The other reason is because a Chinese friend of mine who is a bartender at a Chaoyang bar (near Dawanglu) where a group of Kindergarten teachers and principals from two local schools hang out every Friday and he overheard their conversation about some teacher named "Cole" who was "added to the blacklist after he sued English First in Hangzhou" (and allegedly won!). I know nothing about the case or if he won it by trial or settlement, but if there was such a case involving a teacher by that name, then my bartender friend is telling the truth about overhearing the stuff about the blacklist.

And maybe about a year ago there was something on another expat forum about an older copy of the list being found and it was not all foreigners on the list. If I recall correctly, maybe 20% on the list were Chinese. If they blacklist FTs in Korea, don't you think they do it here as well? http://www.rjkoehler.com/2006/08/17/english-teacher-blacklist/ Maybe there is not a central list for all of China but I think the headmasters and principals of big cities surely must be keeping track of who they think are "troublemakers".

And honestly, with all the flaky foreigners who are drunks or never taught a day in their life before coming to China, can you blame them for keeping tabs on the arsehoes and those who can't write a paragraph in English without making a mistake? I think if one of you bi-lingual guys can search Weibo there'd be a few comments about a teacher's blacklist
because that China Daily story and the above link can't both be a coincidence. Lastly, if you guys know "Terry" (the good looking drunk from Ireland who lived in Wudaokou) - do you really think it is a coincidence that nobody hired him in nine months and he had to move to Guangzhou to find a job?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried contacting them in early December and received this auto-reply:
Quote:

Thank you for contacting the CFTU which is currently staffed 100% by volunteers during the holiday break. We will process your request within the next 5 business days and appreciate your patience. If you are a teacher who has been victimized by either an agent or an employer, please type up a concise summary of 1,000 words or less explaining what, when, where, who, and how and email to [email protected].

We'll be back in touch with you soon.

Best wishes to you and tours for the New Year!

Cheers!

Greg, Denise, Billy, Ming, Charlie, Alex, Curt, & David
CFTU Admin Team

So, I did and gave my email a descript title. A month later, in mid January, I received this response:
Quote:

We apologize for the delayed response but for some reason your email was found in our spam box, and just discovered today. If you are still having issues, please send your email to [email protected].

So, I did and immediately received the same auto reply. But, well after a month, still nothing. Hmm.
murray1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lancy Bloom"]
I am now familiar with the things that have happened because the last three jobs I had the same thing . I worked till the end of the tourist visa and then told to take a hike.

You do realize that teaching on a tourist visa is illegal and gives you no rights. And you did it three separate times to boot!

Do you even have a four year degree and a TEFL degree like a CELTA?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murray1978 wrote:

You do realize that teaching on a tourist visa is illegal and gives you no rights. And you did it three separate times to boot!

Do you even have a four year degree and a TEFL degree like a CELTA?

You do realize that Lancy's probably long gone. I resurrected this thread to comment on the CFTU's apparent inexperience with emailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: