Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I guess I'll be coming back to the UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tollman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: I guess I'll be coming back to the UK? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am heading out to Nepal for a friend's wedding very soon and thought I would just hop from there to China on a tourist visa, find a teaching job and then get a working visa during a short trip to Hongkong (Have gone there for tourist visa's in the past).

I started looking at jobs just a few weeks ago and discovered getting a z-visa takes much longer than I had naively thought. There seem to be a lot of jobs going (echinacities.com) and I have had a few Skype interviews but most want me to give a Skype demo lesson which, for many reasons, is almost impossible for me to organise here. Some accepted me outright and others wanted to see a lesson plan. However I promised to attend the wedding and I have always wanted to go to Nepal so I could not cancel that, but even if I had taken a job offer immediately I would not have had the time to get a z-visa sorted before leaving.

I lived in China many years ago but it seems I am a little out of date so have only very recently discovered getting a Z visa in HK is very difficult or impossible, right? I first looked at jobs in Chongqing and they all said they could only issue to the UK not HK. I think some other places might be OK but I find it hard to get solid information.

So...I guess I can still hop to China and organise a job but I will be heading back to the UK a lot earlier than I planned for the z-visa?

Also, as someone else recently said...so many jobs but so many bad stories about all the different types of work! So hard to know where to go or who to trust, it does make one nervous!

Cheers.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you can establish residency in another country
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to get a z visa now?
golsa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
How long does it take to get a z visa now?

I got mine on the same day the visa agent dropped off my invitation letter and passport at the Chinese embassy.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got mine in three days (coulda had it the same day). I was wondering if things had changed or.......
Tollman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trampled Clown: I had not heard of doing that. Is that a realistic possibility?

Others: I was referring to the whole visa process i.e. 2-3 weeks for them to do the paperwork, another week in the post and then the time at the Chinese embassy.
I was told by more than one school it takes at least a month all told.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my understanding. Unless things have changed very recently, you can get a visa from a country where you have residency.

In most cases you would need a job to do that. Although, someone in a another thread mentioned getting a student visa studying Thai in Thailand or something.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrampledKlown wrote:
That's my understanding. Unless things have changed very recently, you can get a visa from a country where you have residency.

In most cases you would need a job to do that. Although, someone in a another thread mentioned getting a student visa studying Thai in Thailand or something.

You can get legal residency in Turkey with no job or clear reason for being here simply by proving funds for the duration of your intended stay and paying for a residency permit. (In Izmir, this takes a week, though in Istanbul it's considerably longer.)

Mind you the costs come to about 400 lira, which means it's likely cheaper for you to just fly home to the UK (for an American, it might be a different story), however it's entirely possible other countries, closer to China, have similar rules to Turkey's. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which those are.

~Q
Tollman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who shared their thoughts.

I have decided I will do a little tour of some 2nd tier cities I have not been to before to get another look at China and finally pick somewhere which really suits me. It is going to be too expensive and if I have to go back to England also time consuming but ultimately hopefully I will end up at a better place.

T.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also curious about this. I'm currently teaching in Korea and want to make the jump to China. I've read conflicting information on whether or not I have to return home before applying for my Z-visa. I'd rather just hop over to Thailand and relax for a few weeks while I apply for it. Much shorter that way as well.

Anyone know if this is still possible? The guy I may be working with assures me it is (as he did it a few years ago) but I could stand to lose $3K if I'm wrong.
zactherat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The guy I may be working with assures me it is (as he did it a few years ago)

That's not really an assurance. Times change.
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zactherat wrote:
Quote:
The guy I may be working with assures me it is (as he did it a few years ago)

That's not really an assurance. Times change.

That's how I feel. My school is paying for my flight so I think it may be better for my Korean school to simply pay for my flight back, then have them pay for my flight to BKK only to find out I can't obtain my Chinese visa from there and be out $3K in flights to and from the States.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: