Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers on Youtube - what can we REALLY learn from them?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Teachers on Youtube - what can we REALLY learn from them? Reply with quote

Comrades!

Let's look at this ranty posting on Youtube and then hold a discussion.

How many posters think the Youtuber is unwittingly showing himself to be a 'challenged' member of the TEFL fraternity, both through his venomous anger and pitiful self-righteousness mewlings, and also through the information he conveys about his school practice? How many think he is a solid practitioner in the field? Naturally, my own view can be deduced from my extremely neutral framing of the question : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7u6QXx6Rpo
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my view is that the medium seems to lend itself to the hubristic, egotistical, stage-struck, controlling, and pedagogically clueless.

Or to the boo-hoo babies, like this one Very Happy

I think actual useful public video either doesn't exist, or exists as such a small percentage of the dreck out there that it's effectively lost in the tsunami of crap.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Spiral... I thought his idea for the 'poop-team' was inspired! Very Happy
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This clip is just hilarious! Packed with valuable info!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COImhY18qAg
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the first guy was great. Entertaining and perceptive. ("What are you going to do when you get to junior high?") Certainly no worse than what others sometimes say about teaching in China on these forums...

He also gave fair warning in the title "rant"...

Also, having never visited China, it was kind of interesting to see towns. I thought it would be really heavily polluted - just goes to show how conditioned I am by media stories.

As for the second - what was so awful about him? Sure, there's a promo bit at the end, but otherwise...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second guy's info is seriously silly. Great English speakers have one thing in common- their confidence. C'mon?

What were the perceptions offered by the first fellow? I seem to have missed them...
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that having your boss as a co-teacher isn't great
that you need to learn how to take friendly criticism early, otherwise at secondary school you'll suffer even more

Actually, I think being confident is one of the most important things for being a better speaker.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think being confident is one of the most important things for being a better speaker

I agree - so long as said confidence is based on real knowledge and experience which is relevant and valid to the topic and audience. Not often the case in the TEFLutube world....
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listen to him again he doesn't make any distinction between students and native speakers. He just says English speakers around the world have amazing confidence. This is how you and I learned, is it? We are over-brimming with self-belief, are we?

Co-workers, co-teachers as a boss. I have never had an issue with that. In any case, it sounds to me that this was not really the crux of the matter for this chappie either.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm telling jokes and stuff, and the kids are loving me, you know, they're laughing and everyone's having a good time, but she's not laughing and I was like that was a GOOD joke, and I was like aw man!"

A rough paraphrase of the scooter dude's rant against his head-teacher. Am I alone in seeing how awfully revealing of scooter boy's teaching this type of comment is? Sure, he's teaching kids, or at least supposed to be. But even so, he seems he has a strange set of criteria for judging successful lessons - lessons which do not appear to have changed or been adapted in the last 15 or so years...
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really...? You're analyzing the wisdom of the guy ranting, excessively using "like", swearing, talking about Pikachu, and dangerously cruising around on his scooter? It must be even colder and darker in Moscow than Warsaw Smile
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sadly, you may have a very good point there. Time to crack open another bottle of the water... hic!
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a Korean teaching you English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gi06AeuXG4
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Teachers on Youtube - what can we REALLY learn from them Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Comrades!

Let's look at this ranty posting on Youtube and then hold a discussion.

How many posters think the Youtuber is unwittingly showing himself to be a 'challenged' member of the TEFL fraternity, both through his venomous anger and pitiful self-righteousness mewlings, and also through the information he conveys about his school practice? How many think he is a solid practitioner in the field? Naturally, my own view can be deduced from my extremely neutral framing of the question : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7u6QXx6Rpo

I actually find this guy somewhat amusing. Mind, he represents many of the reasons I don't teach in Asia, but that and some of his other videos (which I've been watching) are mildly funny.

That said, I think I did learn something from that video:
People in Taiwan seem to drive much better than people on the Asian mainland.

~Q
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I alone in seeing how awfully revealing of scooter boy's teaching this type of comment is?
No, but generally, I try not to focus on this sort of thing.

It makes me shudder to think of who's let loose on kids - especially Asian kids. This guy doesn't sound too bad in the overall scheme of things but his lack of awareness and professionalism in dealing with kids is stunning. You have to be really careful with kids. A teacher calling a kid a name (especially in another language) should always be avoided. You may mean it in a joking way, but you don't know how that will be taken and used by other kids. Part of your role with young learners should be setting an example of how to treat other people. It's not for a teacher to think of it as 'training' a child to 'accept' name calling - however funny you think it is - because of what might happen to him at junior high. That was anger talking, but still ... yuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: